Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timeline for Preperation

jtfortnerjtfortner Alum Member
in General 4 karma
Hi,

My current goal is to apply for law school this December/January. I'm currently a band director at a middle/high school. My schedule is very fluid, and I have no way of setting as strict of a schedule as I'd like this time of the year for preparation. My question is this: should I begin studying now and not have that strict of a schedule, or wait until school gets out so I have a better and more consistent schedule? I don't know if starting earlier outweighs that of starting later with a more consistent schedule. Any thoughts?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I dont think it would hurt to pick up Logic Games Bible, The Trainer, and Manhattan LR and start reading to get a grasp on the concepts if you dont wanna start really prepping
  • lbalestrierilbalestrieri Alum Member
    110 karma
    In my opinion I think it would be best to start as early as possible, especially if you'll be working full time. I started studying in July thinking I would take the September test, and I ended up withdrawing before the test and took in December and am now retaking this Saturday. I would give yourself as much time as possible in case you find yourself progressing slower than expected like myself
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I agree with the previous posters. Go ahead and start studying if you can. I started studying May 2014 and took the September LSAT. I was unemployed but between stress and slacking off, I ran out of time to study completely. It was no surprise that I didn't perform well. I am now prepping for a retake in October. I'm now working full-time (in a small call center) and I want to make sure I have plenty of time to study completely and effectively. One big thing that I get from both 7Sage and The Trainer is the importance of going slow and steady. And that a thorough understanding is more important than how fast or slow you go. I'm progressing slowly right now but I'm hoping to speed up soon.
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    I would also recommend starting now. Even if it's just a few drills a week, you'll start to get a feel for the concepts and by the time the school year ends you will already have a solid foundation when you begin taking full, timed preptests.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited February 2015 578 karma
    Start studying immediately. Like after reading this post! If there is one thing I wish my pre-law advisors told me early is to start studying immediately. I started in July 2014 thinking I'll be prepared by September. I studied 10AM-4AM (AM not a typo) everyday. Then my last semester started in august. I tried to put my school work aside and focus on lsat but I wasn't studying full time anymore because I really couldn't with 20 units on my plate. Now that I graduated I'm studying again...it's a struggle going back to the normal routine 10AM-4AM though. Just study ASAP because you need 1 year to prepare not a few months.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    It wouldn't hurt to start prepping now a bit! The longer and more you're exposed to it, the better, in my opinion!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    What @harrismegan said is right. I stuck with prep this course for close to 2 years before getting to where I wanted to be... but its worth it in the end if you stick with it! And LSAT concepts just get stronger and stronger with time. So start off right now. JY even says that you need to stick with this for a fair amount of time for your brain to make those connections.

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Take a diagnostic test and see where you stand. If you get like below a 151 or so, then I'd def recommend starting right now. It doesn't have to be intense prep in the beginning. Just a few hours a week will suffice. If you diag at like a 155+, you could probably start in the spring.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I agree with @Nilesh S! I allotted about 4-5 months for my prep for December 2014, but now that I'm going through the course again, I feel a better connection with the material and in my understanding. It can't be learned by cramming it all in or by training a sprint instead of a marathon. Start now, dip your feet in the water, and then dive in when you have more time. At least then you'll have a basic idea.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    The sooner the better! Don't wait until it's too late to start studying.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    I just had to comment because I'm also a fellow band director (middle school) prepping for the LSAT! I'm glad you've found 7Sage, I've found it to be tremendously helpful. Oh, and I also agree that beginning now is your best bet. Inconsistent studying is better than no studying at all (in my opinion).Take care!
  • justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
    343 karma
    I think the idea of studying at a constant schedule is the ideal for many people, however, I think that what's important is that you get some studying done. So if you have the tools now, I would suggest beginning your studying plan and then adjust it whenever the school starts. This way you can start spending time studying. Every minute is precious. =)