Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finished last exam of first semester in 1L! Come ask your questions about law school!

UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
in Off-topic 222 karma

Hi fam, I just finished my last exam of the semester, and I thought I'd return to this safe place and soak in the eagerness for law school that has been stripped from us 1L in the past four months. Oh and also to contribute to the community that has so graciously answered my questions when I was applying to law school. If you have anything you would like to ask about law school, please comment below. Judging from the memes on the Facebook group, my experience should be roughly the same as other 1Ls...

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Which school?

• briandamalagonbriandamalagon Core Member
    7 karma

I am currently in the process of Applying to Law Schools for 2021 that is! How is Law School? As hard as the LSAT? Mainly reading? what to expect?

• UnicornFartsUnicornFarts Alum Member
    222 karma

@briandamalagon said:
    I am currently in the process of Applying to Law Schools for 2021 that is! How is Law School? As hard as the LSAT? Mainly reading? what to expect?

Law school is hard, but I think in a different way from the LSAT. It's a ton of reading, mostly cases from your casebook. You have to pick out the useful bits yourself, and that probably won't become evident until much later in the semester. Some professors also assign supplemental readings, those are useful for the policy discussions in class/policy question on the exams. I think the workload depends on the professor in question. I had a brutal class that took up about 80% of my time because of the way the prof chose to teach it. I would suggest trying to compile your notes electronically as you go along. I didn't really do that this semester and it was a mad rush at the end, and I had forgotten a lot of the stuff.

Expect to spend a lot of time reading. Cold-calls are not that scary, and don't feel pressured to volunteer to speak or say something super novel. Your final grade in the class just rests on that one exam at the end, and it's graded anonymously.

Good luck with applications!