Jan Retake - Tutor/Materials

lsatchanceulsatchanceu Free Trial Member
edited December 2019 in Law School Admissions 15 karma

Hey, y'all. So as someone who's been studying for this test with varying levels of intensity since the earlier part of the year, I'm finding myself in the situation I took serious pains to avoid.

I scored a 162 on the November test, far off of my target. I missed 11 LR, 6 LG, and 5 RC (was shocked the curve was -10). I barely slept the night before (nerves) and had to go to the bathroom badly during the RC section (had two misses at the very end, which I'm sure are tied to this), but still feel I should have done better. My target is 170 (my PT average is 168 with several scores in the low 170s) and I am shooting for top 14 schools only. I'm in a position where I have to either chance sitting for January and somehow hope to make sufficient gains in knowledge/understanding (and try to plan my logistics a bit better) or sit this cycle out and give myself a lot more time so that I can become even more comfortable with the test (which may in turn also help with nerves).

I am currently leaning toward applying with my current score and informing schools of my intention to retake in Jan. I will BR Nov 2019 soon, start doing 5 section PTs, (which I will admit I foolishly avoided due to a busy work schedule), and continue drilling and foolproofing games, but I wanted to reach out to the community to get a sense of the best way to shore things up given my short time. If there are any tutors especially, I would be glad to discuss working out a potential schedule between now and the 13th.

In terms of books, I had been through part of Loophole but will now go back over the parts I did already and complete the book. I was also told that the LSAT trainer's RC sections are great for that section of the test (which is a stronger area for me, though sometimes hit-or-miss). Are there any other books/guides any of you might suggest?

I have to this point avoided courses. I know most require more than three weeks, but I know some are expedited. Are there any courses any of you might recommend for someone in my position?

Lastly, while I want to say I was dejected by my score, I do not have a defeatist attitude about being able to do this. In a sense, 162 is not necessarily that far off (esp. considering sleep, construction noise, and other variables). So while I am grateful for any feedback, I would appreciate that it please be constructive but positive. Thanks!