Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supplemental Materials

MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
edited February 2015 in General 368 karma
Hey everyone!

I noticed that a lot of folks are using the Manhattan LR book as an additional study guide. I am wondering if the Manhattan RC and LG books are are also worth purchasing. Thoughts?

Is the consensus that Manhattan Prep is best for LR, Cambridge bundles are good for LR drilling and the Trainer is best for LG and RC?

Are there any additional bundles [worth] purchasing for LG and RC? Would it be Cambridge?

I want to purchase additional material but I'm not sure which books/bundles to get. I am interested in knowing what others experiences have been with these materials.

Thanks!

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I have the LSAT Trainer for RC. And so far I love it. I don't know about the Manhattan LR, but I do have all the Cambridge packages for drilling of LR and I find them worth it.
    If you're struggling with RC, getting a few bundles of your worst passages from Cambridge could help as well.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I know the consensus with MLG is don't bother, better off with LGB if 7sage explanations arn't enough. as for RC, its not talked about too often. I think its supposed to be okay but with RC being as it is, I think it depends on the person for how helpful it is
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I have The Trainer, Cambridge sets, and the PowerScore bibles. Not sure about Manhattan. I just started using the Cambridge sets but they have been helpful so far. The Trainer has been good for solidifying things but for me it wasn't a good starting point. The LG Bible has been relatively helpful but the LR bible is not worth it.
  • tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    I second on the LSAT Trainer. It's a great supplement. The most important thing you'll take away from it is how to understand the fundamentals of Logical Reasoning. From my experience, here are the best programs for each section:

LR - Bibles, LSAT Trainer
    LG - 7Sage. period. Hands down.
    Reading Comp. - Bibles, LSAT Trainer - though wish there was something better.

Logic - 7sage!
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    I agree completely with tsamvelyan
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    With the above comment I'm not so sure that I agree that the bibles should be used with 7Sage.
  • kglsatnovicekglsatnovice Alum Member
    62 karma
    @ Emli1000 why did you say that you are not sure about using the bibles with 7sage? Did you have a bad experience? I'm just curious to know because I'm trying to figure out which supplemental material is best to use with 7 sage.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    ^ yea. Like it wasn't the best. For LR it's not as clear as JY's method. Also, I had to force myself to forget some of the methods I had learned because obviously they weren't helping my score. JY's methods were a lot more clear and I noticed an increase in my score as well. So I had to get rid of all of the bibles.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    IMO, you don't need a dedicated RC guide (Powerscore Bible nor Manhattan RC). It's such a hard section to "learn". I'd say the RC in the Trainer is sufficient enough to get a good strategy going. I'd highly recommend getting the Cambridge Packets for RC that has all the RC sections from PT 1-38 to drill, drill, drill!
  • MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    Thanks everyone! If anyone else would like to give their opinion, please do!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    IMO

Logical Reasoning
    Step 1: LSAT Trainer - holistic approach to understanding logical reasoning, and what the section is testing
    Step 2: Manhattan - to tweak out specific question types

I actually went in the opposite order but I've heard from multiple people that using the trainer first and then jumping to Manhattan was more effective.

Logic Games:
    7Sage + BluePrint

I think 7Sage articulates the BEST method for reviewing logic games. Both BluePrint and 7Sage worked for me to learn games.

Reading Comprehension:
    LSAT Trainer but really, I haven't explored much.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    I used Manhattan's RC... got me from a - 9 to a -3/4... I think its pretty good in that it orients your brain to a particular system of reading... creating frameworks, provides a short annotation system for the passages, & trains the mind to look for key issues in the passage which will have questions related to them... but JY seems to favor the trainer over Manhattan RC... that is good too... the consensus is that the trainer is the one all round resource that is stellar.

• tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    Hey guys. I don't know if we're allowed to promote other sites here, but for all of you struggling with LR and want good and precise explanations, I highly recommend lsathacks.com It's been super helpful for me.