Looking to take the June 2020 Test - Study Advice Needed

lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
in General 113 karma

Hey guys, I've started studying for this test around a month ago, and I'm looking to get some general advice from those of you who have been studying this test for a while.

My cold diagnostic was at a 168, with -3 on RC, -7 on LR, and -2 on games. I've been specifically targeting the LR section for the past month, and I'm averaging at around -1/-2 per timed section. Problem areas include Flaw questions and Parallel Flaw questions.

I haven't devoted as much studying RC, but I took a few timed sections and I average around -2. The incorrect answers usually fall in the same passage. As for the games, I really haven't done anything about them yet, although I'm planning on studying each type once I feel like I have a more solid grasp on LR.

A few questions:

1. Would it be unwise of me to push off studying the games? I did hear LG is a section that people improve relatively quicker on compared to other sections, but any advice on how and how long to study the games would be much appreciated.
  2. Any tips on nailing the RC sections? I find that I usually misidentify one argument and get questions surrounding that incorrect. I've heard some have benefited from reading the passage twice - has that worked for any of you out there?
  3. Are there any prep tests that you find particularly useful, those that I should refrain from using for section drilling?
  4. Any tips on how to improve on the flaw/parallel flaw questions for LR?

I'm honestly pretty clueless when it comes to studying strategically for this test. Any tips you have for any section would be greatly appreciated. I can also share how I studied LR, if anyone would like to know!

Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Yes it would be unwise to push off studying games. If your diagnostic was June 07 like most people’s, I think those games are slightly easier than the average section. Even if your diagnostic was a different test, there are so many different types of games. Practicing lots of them will help you make inferences more quickly, be able to approach the weird Misc ones, etc. It’s awesome that you got -2 on your diagnostic, but don’t let that make you complacent. And if you have a natural knack for games, taking and reviewing a few each day won’t take you very long

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Also want to clarify - by so many different types, I don’t mean the basic types like sequencing, grouping, misc, etc. There aren’t too many of those. I mean there are so many games that will feel slightly similar to ones you’ve done before because the inferences are exactly the same, and having done the first one before will allow you to complete the second one much more quickly. For example, a double sequencing game where splitting the board into four options based on one rule gives you basically all of the worlds

• lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
    113 karma

@noonawoon Awesome, thank you for letting me know. Will definitely start looking into types and practicing different questions to give myself a good feel. Thanks for the response!