Personal Statement - what to write

I reviewed the 7Sage personal statement section and therefore wrote about a formative experience, what I learned, and how it applies to my future career in law school/as an attorney. Now, as I'm about to submit my applications, I'm reading the criteria for specific schools. Many have nothing to do with a specific experience and have more general prompts about our interest and ability to succeed in law. Is the personal statement I have OK? Or should I change? Mine is about an athletic pursuit...

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

Change it. If the school is important you need to write about exactly what they are asking. Or at least go over it and personalize it to the school. Good luck!

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited January 2020 2426 karma

Most of the prompts tend to be more open-ended just so that they don't arbitrarily set up limitations on the subject matter. Whatever you write should be positive, reflect growth and valuable characteristics that can potentially or directly contribute to law school success; it's just that those goals tend to be relatively easier and more effectively achieved via specific events/experiences so that it doesn't come across as empty talk. And it would be ideal if somewhere either in your PS or application you have also conveyed the interest in law. If you believe what you have conveyed the message in a sincere fashion and it's an experience dearest to you, go for it.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma

@"meg.ribera" can you share one of the prompts you're looking at as an example? It's common and often smart to answer a general "Why do you want to be a lawyer?" or a "Why will you succeed?" prompt with a personal narrative that pivots to a direct answer. In fact, that's the essence of a personal statement. (Consider that it's not called a "statement of purpose").

• meg.riberameg.ribera Alum Member
    26 karma

@"David.Busis"

Here is the prompt for UCLA: Discuss any matters relevant to your ability to succeed in law school and the practice of law, and any attributes, experiences, or interests that would enable you to make a distinctive contribution to UCLA Law or the legal profession.

I decided to start over and wrote my personal statement again. I (a social worker) am now writing about the first time I had to tell a family that I was filing a report of child neglect, the lessons learned from what transpired, and how they relate to my goal of becoming a child advocacy attorney. Seems more relevant than a narrative about athletics.

Thanks for the help!