Letters of recommendation - What if I don't have them?

North KoreanNorth Korean Alum Member
in General 5 karma

Hi,

I am a beginner who just started studying for LSAT, however, am currently very discouraged by the fact that law schools "must" acquire at least 1~2 LOR from applicants.

The problem with me is that I don't have any professors who I can ask for LOR.
(If only I knew I was going to prepare for grad school, I would have built relationships with my professors!)

Are there people out there who ran into a similar situation as of mine?

Comments

• anneeoanneoanneeoanneo Core Member
    2 karma

i haven't been in school for twenty years. i'm trying to figure who to get recs from. people with whom i've worked? bosses? i'm an artist and self employed. any ideas?

• kateyyyyykateyyyyy Member
    67 karma

Same situation. I emailed some professors where I previously got an A or submitted a ton of assignments. I was able to obtain one so far, and would email more after retaking the exam. Sent like 5 emails and only able to get one submission, a rejection because she's too busy at that time, and one who agreed but never turn the letter in lol.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Hi! It sounds like you have been out of school for a while (like me) and so you can get an LOR from employers and professional colleagues. If self-employed and you don't have a pool of professionals to pull from, I would suggest reaching out to local attorneys in your area and offering to intern/help out around the office. I personally took some pre-law classes at a local college and made connections that way and am now doing work remotely for a former teacher. It's a good opportunity to see how a practicing lawyer spends their time, and also gets you a professional connection in the field who could then write an LOR for you. Just be sure that you're honest and upfront about what you're hoping to gain from the relationship so there are no surprises later on down the road. Good luck!