Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading comprehension on digital lsat?

turtlesolturtlesol Alum Member

Hi,

What are the best strategies for high scorers on reading comprehension with the new digital format? On paper with minimal underlining, I was averaging about -3 wrong per RC section. I read the powerscore rc bible a few months ago and generally did not find their viewstamp analysis to be particularly useful. With playing around with the electronic underlining and highlighting features, I think I will just never use them as they are more finicky than useful. I just finished the core curriculum for logic games and logical reasoning, so I will start the reading section of the curriculum now. Does the 7sage cc on reading still apply? Is it worthwhile? What changes with switch to tablet? Any other tips or advice on how to approach the reading comprehension on new format?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

At the end of the day, the digital format doesn't really change much. You're doing the same thing.

You should work towards not doing highlighting/notes on RC and just internalizing the low-resolution-summary process in your head. Taking notes during the actual thing just takes up too much precious time.

When you don't understand something, slow down, and read it again. Don't jump ahead. Make sure you get what you're reading before you move on. If you don't first understand what you've read before you try to summarize, you might miss important details that the questions will grill you on.

And try to enjoy what you're reading. Try to see the beauty and intrigue in the passages, in the act of learning something new.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

I write down a very high-resolution summary of the passage on my scratch paper - probably no more than 10 words for the whole passage. I find that it puts less pressure on me to remember everything and does not take up much time (you just have to be careful not to start trying to write everything down). I have also found that forcing myself to jot down the structural summary forces me to slow down and think through how the elements of the passage work together.

I would recommend experimenting with what works best for you, because you are ultimately the person who has to take your test. Though, I do agree with @taschasp that highlighting is far too cumbersome to rely on.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I dont make any marks on RC at all, and it seems to work well for me, at least better than when i did make marks. Maybe I was doing it wrong idk but it seems to waste time. For me, if im marking something, that process is already signaling that what im marking is important, so its making me remember something that Ive already remembered if that makes sense. Idk overall just seems to waste precious time

• kubicatekubicate Member
    14 karma

What worked very well for me was selecting a specific highlighter color for a specific element in each paragraph. I wrote the LSAT back in September (and just got admitted to my target school!), but what I do remember is that I used pink for the main point in the argument, orange for another persons argument within the passage that was not the authors own, and yellow for a sentence that encompassed the main point of each paragraph. You don't have to highlight the entire sentence for each of these because you're right-- the tablets on test day are too fussy. Simply highlight two or three words so you can easily find the sentences once you're completing the questions.
    Hope that helps!