Chances - Canadian Schools

lilsquishlilsquish Member
in General 29 karma

I have read a lot of forums on the lawstudents.ca site and I can't see too many people in a situation similar to mine. I definitely don't see many people admitted anywhere with a GPA as low as mine, so may be that's my answer.

I'm a mature student, I will have 7 years full time professional work experience in an advancing role by the time of application. I have a BScN Hons degree with 3.0 gpa on a 4.0 scale. I will have 5 years experience with monthly court room appearance representing the interests of a maximum secure forensic hospital. I also have a background as an RN working as a Team Leader on a forensic unit. I will have strong LORs, one from a previous professor who knows me well and I got an 87 in her patho class, one from my current manager and one from a Crown Attorney that I appear in court with on a monthly basis.

I have an official LSAT of 158. I am writing again in April with the hopes of raising that score to at least 160, however that's theoretical at this point. I'm also a realist and I think around 160 is probably the "best" I'll be able to manage in my current circumstance, so ya a 165 or 170 would be great but lets not go there.

Given my current score and other information what do ya'll think my chances are for any Canadian schools? I'm an Ontario resident although I would have no problem relocating since even Ontario school are many hours from my current home.

Thanks all for ready and for offering your realistic views :)

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think if you go on myLSN or use the 7sage predictor you can get a fair estimate. GPA and LSAT are for sure the biggest factors. Assuming you have really strong softs, maybe you can equate that to a point or two max extra on the LSAT

• kubicatekubicate Member
    14 karma

Some Canadian law schools use a more holistic applicant review process, where they would take into consideration your life experiences. Windsor and TRU are two schools that are known for this!
    Having that said, often times the admission demographic information for each law school is available online if you simply google "_________ law demographic information".
    Here is the link to the one for U of A (my law school!): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view
    Good luck!