Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT31.S2.Q19-- if the flowers Drew received today

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited March 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

Hi,
I understand why the answer here is B (because this shows that it is possible that the person knew Drew well and sent Drew roses to piss him off), but I can not quite pinpoint why A is wrong. Most traditional explanations for why A is wrong include the line of reasoning that it is perfectly possible that "most" people may not include the person that sent roses to Drew; but how is this line of reasoning consistent with B being correct? After all, it is also perfectly possible that "some" of the people who send flowers for reasons other to please may not be the person who sent the roses to Drew.

Thus, I feel that there should be a better explanation for why A is wrong, but I have trouble pinpointing it in my head.

Any #help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Admin note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-31-section-2-question-19/

Comments

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Ooo Drew's flowers. Infamous.

JY's 2 part rule works especially well in this case (even though this isn't specifically a flaw question. I know). 1: Is this flaw actually happening in this question? 2: If we insert this flaw into the argument is this particularly why this argument is flawed?

1: The conclusion that "the florist made a mistake" does in fact fail to consider just about everything under the sun. It's always easy to fail to consider something in an argument. Does the author fail to consider someone can send flowers to upset someone else? Sure. For Valentine's day your ex got you pinecones and socks. Clearly meant to upset. Part 1 check.

Did the florist fail to consider that "Most people send roses when they send flowers?" Um yea but I don't see how this fact is going to pass part 2.

2: If we put AC B into the argument, we get: "Premise: bla bla bla someone got something they didn't want. Conclusion: the mailman messed up." (part 2:) But WHAT IF: someone intended to upset Drew? Bingo.

Premise someone got something.... C mailman messed up... But WHAT IF: Most people send roses when they send flowers?" So what? How does this indicate that the mailman didn't mess up? If anything I think this may hint at strengthening the conclusion. If most people send roses maybe the mailman actually did mess up in giving Drew the wrong flowers. You could say "Hey it's Valentine's Day, everybody's sending roses in the mail. Yea it's a total accident Drew got roses, but look, there are a billion roses in the mail right now. Honest mistake."

The big takeaway is that if we insert B as the flaw it works much better than A; I really don't see how A could do anything to weaken the argument.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

hmm ok thanks!