Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking advice on focus/discipline while studying!!!

ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
in General 348 karma

Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice/tips for how to sustain and intensify focus and discipline throughout studying? I've been studying for the LSAT for a while and even though I wouldn't say I'm burnt out, there's obviously a general fatigue/"I'm so sick of this" feeling that I'm trying to push through. I'm not a big study-er at all and I hate monotonous/dull work, so my focus while studying for the LSAT comes in spurts. When I'm in the middle of such a spurt, I'm very productive and am able to accomplish A LOT. But I just can't sustain that for a long period of time, and I fear that this lack of consistency/lack of sustaining the discipline is impeding my progress/preventing me from making substantial gains.

Has anyone been through this? Has anyone experienced this and still was able to get to their target score? Is this even normal...I always tend to think top scorers don't have this problem.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

I would recommend taking a break in between studying. Studying requires full concentration and won’t be efficient with exhaustion. Perhaps take nap, watch a movie, or even some delicious desserts to reward yourself after studying for the day. Having a study partner or study group can help.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

You are most definitely not alone, my friend. We all experience these feelings throughout this long journey. I agree with @Magnificent2021 that incorporating breaks is important. I think that there are very few people who can study for hours and days on end without a breather. I recently took four days in a row off because I was having a really hard time focusing and nothing was sticking. It was a major relief to put it down for a few days and I have been so much more productive since. One of my former teachers (who is a practicing attorney) told me when I started studying that the LSAT, more than anything, is designed to measure how much pain and suffering you can endure. Basically, if you can get through this, you can probably get through law school. I thought that was really funny, but after 8 months and one take under my belt, I totally see what he was talking about. Hang in there and don't rush yourself through the process. I wish you all the best and good luck!