PT34.S2.Q14-- some people claim that every human discovery

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

Hi everyone,

So I was stuck between C and B in this question because while I definitely can see why C is right, I wasn't able to see why B did not at least somewhat support this argument. After all, "most people" could apply to what "we" are obliged to do (as stated in the conclusion).

I feel like in previous strengthen questions I have seen before, "most people" does strengthen the argument (ie in strengthen questions where the conclusion is referring to other people besides "we"), but why doesn't it do so in this case?

Thanks!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-34-section-2-question-14/

Comments

• 55 karma

"Most people" makes the AC flawed because the stimulus makes no claim or conclusion about what other people do. I think "most people" would only support a claim if knowing what most people do allowed you to infer something about what happens in the argument. If the author said "Darklord will go to the store today", then "Most people go to the store" strengthens the argument. But here, the author says "The claim is trivial and we don't have to take it seriously", then answer C offers the logical support, no trivial claims are worthy of serious consideration.

Trivial Claim
    + (Trivial claim --> Serious Consideration)

Don't take it seriously

I hope that helps!

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

So you are saying that "most people" does not support "we" because "we" is not other people, but anything in third person counts as other people?

• Victoria.BordignonVictoria.Bordignon Alum Member
    61 karma

This is a strengthen question and we want to make the conclusion more likely, that we are not obliged to take their claim seriously. I think answer B confuses the subject of claim, rather than people. So answer choice C connects the broad claim of anything trivial in the premise to the conclusion to not give serious consideration. Not sure.

• BullfroggerBullfrogger Member
    184 karma

Just because most people don't do something doesn't mean that others are not obliged to do it. It could still be worthy of consideration, and most people just don't understand that. Ya know

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

Wait are you saying @frigeriowill that in the correct answer (answer choice C), making something “worthy of serious consideration” is equivalent to being “obliged” to take “seriously”?