PrepTest 11 - Section 4 - Question 11

Hi,

I am having a hard time seeing why B is correct and C isn't, maybe because I really struggled with the stimulus. Could someone help explain this one?

Comments

• 1058 karma

Hi! Here is my two cents:

Conclusion:
    - Harvesting trees from old-growth forests for use in manufacture can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide.

Support:
    - When large, old trees die in the forest they decompose, releasing their stored carbon dioxide.
    - Harvesting old growth forests would make room for rapidly growing younger trees, which absorb more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere than do trees in old-growth forests.

C. This doesn't weaken the conclusion because it doesn't give us enough relevant information. My first impression of this AC was: Oh great! Maybe the young trees have so much more space available to store carbon dioxide. In which case this would strengthen the argument. But even if you assumed that half of what the old trees could store is the young tree's full capacity at that specific age, maybe removing an old tree will create room for 3 young trees which will make up for the discrepancy in capacity. Also, the stimulus said the young trees are growing fast. We just don't know. Also, keep in mind how the conclusion says that harvesting old trees for use in manufacture can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide. This isn't very relevant information.

B. This AC is saying that much of an old-growth tree is used for products that decompose quickly. What is going to happen when all those products decomposes? The carbon dioxide will be released. This AC is directed more at weakening the part of the conclusion that says harvesting old trees for use in manufacture can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide. But most of the products manufactured are just going to decompose and release all that carbon dioxide anyways. It is not a perfect AC but it is enough to weaken the argument.

I hope this answers your question!