PT4.S4.Q23-24

jcho1234jcho1234 Member

These were so hard.

I got number 23 right at first, but wrong after a blind review. I don't understand why answer choice D is not a necessary assumption. Isn't it important that the brains of twins aren't any more likely to suffer from schizophrenia than a non-twin brain? Shouldn't that be of utmost important to ensure the conclusion about brains in general is valid?

But more confusing to me was 24. How in the heck can we find most of the answers to be "could be true" based on the stimulus? There is no mention of any of the answer choices, like (B) being able to control it with medication, but not cure it. Where is that even implied in the stimulus? Or susceptibility in answer (A). I can't find a logical string that ties these answers together.

HELP

Comments

• Ct555555Ct555555 Alum Member
    22 karma

For Q23 D doesn't have to be assumed because if both the twins are schizophrenic one could have a smaller brain than the other, however both are smaller than what the brain would be if either one was not schizophrenic. So it isn't completely necessary.

For Q24 all you are looking for is the one answer choice that is directly contradicted by the premises of the argument. The fact that most of them aren't connected at all is what makes them correct, they may or may not be true, but there is nothing in the prompt that would force them to not be true. Except for D, because if we take the premises as true (as the stem requires us to do) then we will never be able to tell if someone will be schizophrenic simply from their DNA, because here we have an example of two people with identical DNA, one haveing the disease and the other not having the disease.