Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flagging and coming back

InvisibleInvisible Alum Member
in General 32 karma

Do you flag and come back to hard questions at the end of each passage in RC, or do you come back to them after attempting all 25~27 questions in the section?
Similarly for LG, do you attempt all games before coming back to a flagged question?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I typically return after finishing the whole section. To spend more time on the first round, I always want to be able to define a specific reason why I expect to do any better than on my initial attempt. For RC and LG, I normally can’t do that. Sometimes it happens though. Maybe the process of answering a later question leads you to a realization about a passage you hadn’t had before. Maybe a game board on a later question generates the answer to an earlier one. So it can depend. More often than not, though, I don’t exactly know what I’m going to do differently when returning to a question other than just starting over and trying again from scratch. That usually leads to the same results as the first time. Better to let that one go and keep moving forward.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

For RC, my approach to answering questions is to answer as many questions as I can without needing to refer back to the passage itself. For example, main point, main purpose, author's attitude ect ( global type questions) I expect to be able to answer because I have a good understanding of the passage. I also try to predict as many of the questions as I can. If I see a line cite question unless it was a line that somehow specifically stuck out to me I am going to initially skip and answer it after finishing the other questions for the passage. Expect questions sometimes I can eliminate all but two answers so my approach to this question type would be to eliminate what I can. If I am pretty sure one of the things was mentioned in the passage and I have a good idea where it was than I might do a quick check otherwise I will leave that question, answer what I can and come back. I do this because it is important to keep the momentum going in RC. For example, if I am approaching a passage that has 7 questions and question 2 is a line cite question I am skipping because I anticipate that line cite questions may take me more than a minute ( to find the line, re read the line and surrounding text and think about the purpose of the the word or whatever I am being asked) and then answer the question, I would rather put that question at the end. This helps me keep the momentum going because for global questions I typically answer them in 30 seconds- 1 minute, much different than I used to when I previously tried to rush through the passage and found myself bogged down in the answer choices. If for some reason there was any other questions for that passage that I didn’t answer and am down to 50/50 or something I also try to answer before moving onto the next passage. I may still flag the question but my goal is to put that passage out of my mind and fully move onto the next passage.
    For LG, I am trying to work smarter. If I solve for sub game boards/worlds than I will typically answer the questions in the order they appear but if not I want to try to answer if questions first or anything that gives you a new world/scenario so that you can use your previous work to help with must be true, must be false answer choices. If the game has a floater I also use my knowledge of them and how they work to eliminate answer choices in could be true/must be true questions. I try push questions where I might have to test out scenarios to the end. If I am really stuck I will move onto another game. It isn’t worth taking 2+ minutes on just one question.