Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaving job for Law school during COVID-19 & I'm PANICKING! Anyone else struggling with this?

madagingmadaging Alum Member
edited June 2020 in Law School Admissions 26 karma

As if the regular uncertainty of law school isn't enough, I'm leaving a steady job to head off to Law school in Fall during this COVID-19 pandemic!
The idea of leaving behind my steady income and instead taking on student loans during this time when I'm lucky to still have a job is causing me to panic!! Basically the added aspects of uncertainty due to the pandemic and thus the poor job market/economy are wearing me thin.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay my job another year and defer law school, hoping that the pandemic will blow over by Fall 2021(which is not guaranteed). Or if I go forward to law school despite it all since I've already been accepted and have a solid scholarship etc.

Is anyone else struggling with this decision? I am open to any advice or anecdotes about what others in similar positions have decided to do. I'm trying to see this from all angles before I make some big decision based on just my nerves and fears.

Thank you in advanced!

Comments

• JDream2023JDream2023 Alum Member
    984 karma

If you’re really worried, I would defer law school for until next year. But if it was me, I would go for it. If you don’t go this year, then you’ll be graduating a year later. I don’t know for you, but for me, that’s huge. I hope you succeed in whatever route you decide to take.

• chess4lifechess4life Alum Member
    49 karma

In same situation. I understand your stress. For me, I know that pursuing law right now is necessary for me to try to get to where I want in life. I wasn't growing at my current job and wasted time. You can defer but you will face the same anxiety a year from now, unless you really feel COVID will hurt job prospects in 2023 (I don't -- in fact, all these deferral stories makes me want to start now even more, since supply of lawyers will be smaller coming out).

You should also think about other people in your life and the impact on them of whatever decision you make.