Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you were just starting out lsat prep, what would you do?

consistencyiskeyconsistencyiskey Core Member
in General 131 karma

Hi everyone,

I have roughly 3-4 hours per day, 5-6 days a week to dedicate to the LSAT.

My diagnostic was 144 with -11LR, -20LG, -15LR, -10 RC

I would love to write the October LSAT and apply for the 2021 cycle. I need a 162-165 for the school I want to get into.

If you were me, how would you approach the CC?

I started Mike Kim's Lsat trainer because I heard good things and am 1/3 through. Should I continue the trainer and hit 7 sage hard, or finish the trainer, then 7sage.

Is this enough time?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I'd probably do the entire CC. You'll still have plenty of fresh material that way. Many people use the Trainer and 7Sage together, but 7Sage discusses more concepts. The webinars on here can be good as well. And you might like the Thinking LSAT podcast.

• consistencyiskeyconsistencyiskey Core Member
    131 karma

@lsatplaylist Thank you very much for your feedback! I have decided to jump ship and use 7sage. I need something more in depth, and definitely with video explanations. Thank you for letting me know about the Thiking LSAT podcast; I have just subscribed! Thanks again for nudging me in the right direction:)

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    591 karma

I would do the entire CC first. I think it is hard to understand what the trainer is saying when you just start to prepare for the LSAT. Finish CC first, you'll be more aware what the trainer is talking about.

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

Definitely agree with Dinosaur, do the CC first/primarily. The Trainer is more of a supplement and tackling the exam from a big picture perspective. But what use is this perspective if you don't have the tools necessary to execute the plan. 7Sage does a good job of providing you with tools on how to tackle every question type.

As your doing 7Sage, I'd suggest taking 4 PTs as you progress. For example take one at 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80% CC completion. This is a good way to retain the information you have learnt by utilizing the skills you have gained through drilling/studying. Treat the PTs as midterm exams, study and review everything you learnt up to that point and try to implement it on game day.

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    edited December 2020 350 karma

deleted

• n.placen.place Free Trial Member
    edited June 2020 76 karma

Don't do a lot of PT's, use the majority of the material for practicing specific skills. Its like sports, you don't get better by playing (only) full length games, you get better by practicing and improving on skill sets that help you in the context of the game. That in mind, begin by splitting your time between learning LR theory and how to do logic games. Go through each type of LR question type and each type of logic game, and drill using the problem sets tool. Drill a lot. Like learning the theory should set the foundation, and drilling should be the majority of your practice. Keep in mind that if you don't make the October exam, you can still apply for the 2021 cycle. If you get to October and feel like you can still make improvements, more time might mean more money, or a better school, or both.

Mike Kim's book is nice as a secondary resource, but not as a primary one.

My credentials are that I scored a 179 on a PT two days ago. I've read a large chunk of the books out there on the LSAT.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Also, a free account on Velocity LSAT can be a big help at this stage.

• hunterfite46hunterfite46 Free Trial Member
    14 karma

142 diagnostic here back in early 2019 -> 154 first take in Oct 2019 -> 158 May Flex and plan to take again before applying as I've been consistently breaking 160 in PTs now that I've refocused my studying and have more time post-undergrad.

If I could start over again
    1. Wrong answer journal with detailed explanation of what the stimulus is doing and why the correct answer fulfills this
    2. Read multiple explanations of questions I get wrong until I'm satisfied with an explanation, I use the PowerScore forums, and videos from Nate and Ben's prep company primarily.
    3. Realize that Logic Games is easily learnable when you drill and review it consistently, I now stay at 2-4 questions missed for LG sections this time around. The section is all about patterns and inferences that are repetitive across tests. As for Reading Comp, it really is about retraining how you read. Coming from humanities background where I read just for information, it takes time to adjust so you can focus both on the information AND the authors reasoning behind it.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Start with the CC. Don't do more than 4-5 hours a day max. If you have the ability to work with a tutor, do it.