Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identifying embedded clauses, modifiers, details and predicates?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in General 12637 karma
Hey 7Sagers,

Someone emailed in with a question I thought you could help out with! Here it is:

I recently started using 7Sage, and I am currently having difficulties with identifying embedded clauses, modifiers, details and predicates. I've gone over the lessons a few times and done the practice quiz. I am looking for some insight.

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I don't know. But for some reason, this is a strength of mine so I wanted to answer.
    When I blow dry my hair before work I read over notes that I have made and I always make sure to go over embedded clauses.

The sentence "candidates who undertake expensive campaigns have an unfair advantage" (or something to that end) was given as an example in that lesson.
    I always always always go over it and break it down. Maybe this will help you. Instead of just reading a sentence, spend some time breaking it into it's parts so you know how the words function together and why.

As you read:
    candidates who undertake expensive campaigns have an unfair advantage

Think.
    Subject. Candidates.
    Predicate. Advantage.

What kind of candidates are they? The ones that undertake expensive campaigns. What kind of advantage is it? Unfair.

Unfair and "undertake expensive campaigns" just modify what you're talking about. Really spend time breaking it down and thinking about the sentence.

Here's another example I found on the web:
    "As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Think.
    What kind of leader?..... one of all illegal activities in Casblanca. NOT just ANY leader. One of illegal activities in Casablanca.

What kind of man? Influential and respected.

I hope that helps. My suggestion would just look up some modifier grammar lessons and really just make your way through them. Start with simple, work up to difficult. Competency comes from practice. You can do it!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @harrismegan good way to practice. That's how I first started out at first. Then I realized that being able to identify the predicate made this process a lot easier.
  • jenny_03jenny_03 Member
    21 karma
    @harrismegan if I'm not mistaken, modifiers modify the subject and its actions? What role those the predicate play? What is the definition of the predicate?
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    @jennifer_takyi the predicate is the verb, or what the subject is doing, I believe. I also believe the lesson said that it's most often the verb.
    Modifiers, if I'm not mistaken, can modify any portion of the sentence.