Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve on reading comprehension

Does anyone know if it’s true that reading comp is weighted more heavily on the LSAT flex? I’m taking the test in October and I’m not sure if it will be flex but I’m worried if it will be if reading comp is worth more. Also does anyone have any tips on how to improve in reading comp/how to stay focused?

Comments

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

Yes - the Reading Comprehension section is worth more on a flex. It is worth 1/3 of your total score on the flex vs. 1/4 on the regular test.

For me, I finally started to see improvement on the RC section when I began reading every single day for about 30 mins to 1 hour. Some people will say to read articles similar to what you will find in the RC section but I did not find that to be necessary. Find reading material you can read every day and stick to it. Your Reading Comprehension score will improve with your general ability to read more quickly and with better comprehension.

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma

Hi there,

I love teaching reading comp - one major tip is focus on question types. I'm amazed at how few courses have question types for RC. And if they do, they often don't emphasize mastering them.

Think about it - question types are fundamental to how we learn LR - ideally we can ID the question type, then hit the ground running by jumping into a specific technique for that Question Type.

Doing the same for RC makes us more efficient and effective.

• 769 karma

The PowerScore Reading Comprehension Bible says that reading comp uses the same question types as logical reasoning like mbt, mss, mp, strengthen, weaken, and parallel reasoning. Should I try to take the same approach for these questions as I do for logical reasoning?
    Thanks for the response!

@"Quick Silver" said:
    Hi there,

I love teaching reading comp - one major tip is focus on question types. I'm amazed at how few courses have question types for RC. And if they do, they often don't emphasize mastering them.

Think about it - question types are fundamental to how we learn LR - ideally we can ID the question type, then hit the ground running by jumping into a specific technique for that Question Type.

• seriouslyseriously Alum Member
    199 karma

@"Quick Silver" said:
    Hi there,

Can you elaborate on what those question types are? I've found it difficult to isolate by question type in the same way I would on LR, and even more difficult to drill question types/come up with a consistent strategy to approach them. Thanks in advance!

• 769 karma

The PowerScore Reading Comprehension Bible says that the RC question types are usually must be true/most strongly supported, main point, strengthen, weaken, parallel reasoning, and cannot be true. I am not sure though if you’re supposed to identify/approach them in the same way that you do for logical reasoning

@seriously said:

@"Quick Silver" said:
    Hi there,

Can you elaborate on what those question types are? I've found it difficult to isolate by question type in the same way I would on LR, and even more difficult to drill question types/come up with a consistent strategy to approach them. Thanks in advance!