Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT8.S4.Q16- Consumer advocate: under the current

miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
edited August 2020 in Logical Reasoning 1020 karma

Is answer choice E incorrect because of the second half that reads, "unless manufacturers would reap large benefits..."

Also, I didn't really understand why C is the correct answer here. C seems to imply that the manufactures are in fact being deceptive which is what the consumer advocate is trying to prove. I tagged the first sentence in the manufacture's dialogue as the conclusion for the manufacture, and again answer choice C seems to go against this.

I would really appreciate any help with trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Comments

• robotsoaprobotsoap Alum Member
    edited August 2020 87 karma

You're exactly right about E. E would strengthen the manufacturer's argument if it didn't contain that unless condition. Since it's not stated in the passage, there exists the possibility that the manufacturers actually are reaping large benefits from deception, which would weaken the argument. Leaving that possibility open makes E a weaker answer choice than C.

As for C, recall the manufacturer's conclusion. The manufacturer argues that it is not deceptive to use words differently from their common usage. This actually doesn't exclude the idea that the manufacturers themselves can't be deceptive, but merely that it isn't deceptive to use words differently from their common usage.

Moreover, C doesn't seem to necessarily imply that manufacturers are deceptive. Perhaps the word "exploit" might be attached with certain connotations that reminds us of deception or malpractice. But what C literally means is that insofar as it's legal, people should be allowed to make full use of the advantages of the ambiguity and vagueness in language.

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    edited August 2020 1020 karma

Thank you for this explanation!! @robotsoap