Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Writing section

yetgasakivyetgasakiv Core Member
in General 42 karma

Hi 7-sagers. I’m scheduled to take the August flex in a couple weeks. This I my first go around so I do not have a writing sample on file. For those that took the writing sample online, did you take it the day before? Also, is it possible to tale the writing sample after you take the LSAT? For example if I took the LSAT on a Saturday, could I take the writing portion the following Monday? Thanks

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

For August, Ive heard you wont get your score back until you get a writing sample in

• yetgasakivyetgasakiv Core Member
    42 karma

Thanks. I heard something about that on the LSAC website. What I’m wondering is if I have to take he written section before I take my actual LSAT. Or if I am able to take the written section the day after my LSAT.

• cat.casacat.casa Member
    edited August 2020 168 karma

I'm pretty sure you have to take it after your LSAT. The writing section doesn't open beforehand. So yeah you can take the writing portion at any time after you sit for the exam.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

agreed with the above, the LSAT writing portion is not available before you take the actual LSAT. You have to do it after.

• broadh22broadh22 Alum Member
    20 karma

For the August LSAT, you can complete the writing sample starting 8 days prior to the test if you want to. You can also take it any time after. From what I understand, you can take it two months later if you want to. But they will not release your score until you take it. (see excerpt from LSAC email below). As for advice on when to take it: I am a first-time test taker and also a busy mom of four kids. So any extra time I have will be spent studying for the LSAT. I honestly haven't even thought about the writing portion yet which I have no idea if this is recommended or not. But I just can't add another thing to my plate. I'm planning to do the writing portion the following week after the test (before I have to start homeschooling my kids) but if after looking into it I realize I need more time to prepare, then I'll take it later in the month. As for you? I think you need to consider what would cause you the least amount of stress. If completing the writing sample beforehand would give you one less thing to think about before the test and therefore help you to focus better during the actual test, it could be a good option--especially if you are already prepared for the writing sample. Otherwise I would just wait to do it after. I don't know that anyone can give you experienced advice on this decision though since I believe this is the first time taking the writing portion before the test is even an option. Hope that helps.

Email excerpt: "To help candidates complete the writing portion of their test, we will now open LSAT Writing eight (8) days prior to every test administration. Candidates may complete their LSAT Writing at the time and date that is most convenient to them but must have a completed writing sample in their file in order to see their score or have their score released to law schools."

42 karma

@broadh22 thank you!! I was a bit confused on how long the period I could take to complete the written section. I feel i will probably take it the following Monday just to get it out of the way and to give me a day to relax from taking the LSAT. Appreciate the help. @kilgoretrout @"cat.casa"

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

@broadh22 and @yetgasakiv I agree I think its best to take the sample after your test (reduce your plate leading up to test day). But, PLEASE, try a few practice samples first before your official take. I am not sure why LSAT teachers shrug the writing sample, but I think it should be taken seriously.

You can get the hang of it quickly, but I think it requires a little bit of practice. If my writing sample was one of the first practices, it would have been bad. Just personal advice.

42 karma

@Defender i 100% agree. I’ve completed a few from the LSAT prep books I’ve purchased. So I’m familiar with most of the format. I know I just need to not get uncomfortable with typing faster than I think. I feel the major drawback from written to digital is that sometimes we gloss over sections typed because we think in our head they make sense. When really our grammar may not be perfect.

795 karma

@Defender said:
    @broadh22 and @yetgasakiv I agree I think its best to take the sample after your test (reduce your plate leading up to test day). But, PLEASE, try a few practice samples first before your official take. I am not sure why LSAT teachers shrug the writing sample, but I think it should be taken seriously.

You can get the hang of it quickly, but I think it requires a little bit of practice. If my writing sample was one of the first practices, it would have been bad. Just personal advice.

I've only see one practice sample, could you please let me know where I can find other ones? Thanks!

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

@kilgoretrout The pdfs (print out versions) on 7 sage should have the writing samples at the very end too.

795 karma

@Defender said:
    @kilgoretrout The pdfs (print out versions) on 7 sage should have the writing samples at the very end too.

Ahh amazing thank you so much!

795 karma

@Defender said:

Ahh amazing thank you so much!