PT62.S2.Q13 - buying elaborate screensavers

C_MURPHYC_MURPHY Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 17 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-62-section-2-question-13/
I am making a spread sheet of the questions that I got wrong in this section and I am needing some help. Can someone please help me I am stuck. I am re-writing the question stem in a way that I understand it and then I am writing down the answer choices to explain why 4 are wrong and the one right is correct.
I am not really understanding why the correct answer is D. I picked B. Can any one help me understand why the other answer choices are wrong? Thanks!!!! :)

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Did you write out why 4 answers are incorrect and why only 1 is correct? What's your reasoning for each AC?
  • C_MURPHYC_MURPHY Alum Member
    17 karma
    Well, I am asking your opinion on why they are wrong/ and for what reasons.. I really need help understanding from another perspective. I got this one wrong for so many reasons and cant explain why any are wrong. I picked B because it compares and contrasts benefits of one thing to another in the most efficient way for the company..
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @C_MURPHY that is undoubtedly a tough question BUT B) is wrong because the end result is positive... in the actual stimulus you are losing more in employee time than any gain you are getting whereas in B you are saving ultimately... At worst, it is the opposite result from the stimulus... at best it does not address the issue of total loss or gain at all
    A) Is wrong because it does not mirror the structure of the stimulus at all... is buying screensavers based on anyone's preference?
    C) is wrong because it does not tell us the loss from getting the pizza.. it quickly switches the subject to the time saved by doing another activity... nowhere does it compare the gain and losses from the pizza alone
    D) is CORRECT because it mirrors the EXACT structure of the stimulus... you LOSE something by installing the security system i.e. customer goodwill and this loss is MORE THAN THE SAVINGS from losses by theft...
    E) is wrong because it does not engage in any loss gain comparison where the loss turns out to be more than the gain.
    Does this help?
    3462 karma
    @"Nilesh S" basically what I was going to say.

I was asking for your reasoning so I could see if I could explain why your reasoning wasn't right depending on what you thought.
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    @emli1000 I could see why you asked actual articulation @C_MURPHY sometimes articulating your reasoning like this actually helps pinpoint where you are going wrong... its overall also a great exercise to train your intuition... I'd suggest that if you do come across a problem like that again then like @emli1000 suggested here articulate your reasoning even if its faulty... and even if you don't know where you might be going wrong... it is an extremely beneficial process.... can't stress how much... it is a standard technique but has helped me out tonnes!!!
    3462 karma
    Yea, also someone else can pinpoint where your reasoning went wrong. I recently started doing this and it helps reinforce the concept of the LSAT, imo.
  • C_MURPHYC_MURPHY Alum Member
    17 karma
    okay, I definitely understand now. Thanks so much for your help and advice! @emli1000 @"Nilesh S"
    3438 karma
    Glad to help out and all the best with prep!
    3462 karma
    No problem.