Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much can I expect to improve from my diagnostic?

jamie.ennis.king010jamie.ennis.king010 Alum Member
in General 10 karma
So I finally decided to make a free account, do some of the introductory lessons and then do the June 2007 test as a diagnostic. My problem is that I realized I have no real idea how much I can expect to improve from this point on, or how long that might take.

I scored a 166, with more than half of my errors in Logic Games. Lost 3 marks in reading comp, 1 in each of the logic reasoning sections, and 7 in logic games.

I know that the games are meant to be the easiest to improve at, but where could I realistically expect to end up, if going for the June test this year? I was hoping to try for 170-172, but I have no idea if that's possible in this timeframe.

Comments

• mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    If it's just LG then that's something you can definitely improve on. If you're already doing well in the other sections it may be harder to improve, just because there isn't much left to improve on. Pretty much, it's all about what category of LG is messing you up, and whichever it is, you just drill that game type over and over.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I'd say you should set your sights higher than 172. Shoot for 180---you're doing so well in the sections that are hardest to improve. Use the fool proof method, take as many of the game sections (if not all of them) as you can and master those. Don't ignore LR and RC---this might have been a fluke (I have gone -0 or -1 in some LR/RC and -7 in others). But an increase of 6 points with 10 weeks of serious study is quite a modest goal.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    And keep in mind that what you stand to gain in having a higher goal may translate to thousands (like tens of thousands!!!) in scholarship money. This is the greatest opportunity you have to change your life after law school. The difference of 8 points could mean the difference between $100,000 in debt and $150,000 ---- if not more. Very rough numbers but I would recommend talking to a financial advisor about what even a small ($15,000) difference in debt will mean for payoff, monthly payments, accrued interest, and ultimately lifestyle.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    just wanna double check, this 166 was fully timed straight through with only break being the 15 min break after section 3 right?
    if so a 166 is a great starting point and most definitely allows for a jump into the 170's. Especially with LG being your biggest struggle as it is a very learnable section. Start figuring out where you are having issues and work on them, get that LG down and youll get into the upper 170's
  • jamie.ennis.king010jamie.ennis.king010 Alum Member
    10 karma
    Thanks for the advice, will try and shoot for a higher score then. I am a little worried that it could have just been a fluke/easy test for the LR sections, so I will definitely keep working on them. Should the way I start studying change much if I think I have the basics down for LR and RC? Or should I just follow the regular lesson plan? Drilling lots of logic games sounds like a good idea though, because watching the explanations for those made me feel like I really fumbled through that section.

Thankfully the debt isn't as much of a problem for me though. In Australia, taking the LSAT to apply for the Melbourne JD, and our system works pretty differently to US student loans I think. Still, a higher score would be nice, at least just to be more confident about getting in.

• jamie.ennis.king010jamie.ennis.king010 Alum Member
    10 karma
    And yeah, I did a fully timed prep-test, although it was a 4-section one with no experimental part. At least I think I timed it properly? 35 minutes for each section right? I was pressed for time on the LG section, but mostly fine on the others.
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    Wow that's an awesome diagnostic! You can definitely aim for 180 for June! Buy the basic package and start working on the sections you need help on!! :)
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    That's a great score! I would still purchase the basic packet and prep for the june lsat.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 812 karma
    @jamie.ennis.king010 i think most people that are VERY serious improve somewhere between 10-15 points. However, i do think the economic principle of diminshing returns applies. You're starting at a high point already and it is harder to improve the higher up in the percentiles you get. A 15 point improvement for you would be a 181, which would be pretty sweet. Agreed with @nicole.hopkins, shoot for 180. It took me half a year to go from 153 to 166 but i think that is longer than it takes for most people (i'm not the brightest tool in the shed)