PrepTest February 1997 - Section 1 - Question 25

lsatmakesmecrylsatmakesmecry Core Member

I don't understand how B is wrong; I understand how D is the correct answer and I went back and forth, but ultimately thought that the argument had no basis if they couldn't use recycled materials in the first place?? I get why D is the best choice, but I can't articulate or figure out why B is wrong #help

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

Hello,

B is wrong because it says that there is enough glass recycled each year to supply all the major soft drink bottlers with enough materials to make a large percentage of their glass bottles, but this isn't necessary. What if there is only enough for one major bottler to use? It would still lower that companies' costs and benefit the environment, thus it's not a necessary assumption. Also, even if there wasn't enough recycled glass made each year, who's to say there isn't recycled glass left over from last year they could use? B is too broad because it refers to all companies, but also too narrow when referring to what time period the glass has to be from. If it had said "There is enough recycled glass available in a given year to supply at least one major soft drink bottler with enough glass to make a large percentage of its glass bottles.", then that would most likely be a necessary assumption.