Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing between answers MP Questions

For some reason, I'm having a lot of trouble with Main Point questions for RC. I read about a strategy that involved trying to identify how many paragraphs the AC for a Main Point question encompasses to help narrow down between several options.

However, I've just run into an issue with PT 74 RC Passage 2 Question 9, where the correct AC completely skipped a paragraph in which the author laid out several reservations regarding the effectiveness of a technique he discussed in the rest of the passage. I had eliminated that AC on my first passed using the passage structure technique, so I'm skeptical that it's a good approach.

I'm curious about I) how much a correct AC can overlook for main point questions? 2) any suggestions or techniques you might have for choosing between two answer choices for RC when stuck.

Thanks!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

In terms of the deriving the MP, after each paragraph you read, pause and express to yourself what you believe to be the MP. Do this after each paragraph. By the time you're finished reading the entire passage, this should help you figure out the flow of support and the overarching MP. Also, and I hope this goes without saying but pay close attention to conclusion indicator words in each paragraph.

Good luck!