PT89.S3.Q25-- Whorfian hypothesis

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited September 2020 in Reading Comprehension 586 karma

Hi,

So while I did understand why the wrong answer choices were wrong here, I had trouble understanding why E was right. Can anyone explain their reasoning here?

The reason I had trouble understanding why E was right was because I didn't really know what was the difference between "subjective association" and "possession of concept". I thought that a "subjective association" had to be an association that people made based on their "subjective" (aka personal) opinion, but I didn't see any personal opinion in passage A-- I saw people basing their opinion from the connotations in the languages themselves, not from their unique thoughts/experiences.

In addition, "whereas" in answer choice E indicates contrast between "subjective association" and "possession of concept" yet, from my perspective, it seems like people holding a masculine view of a violin and people holding a rough view of numerical values both seem like "possessions of concepts"-- they are both opinions that people hold.

So how is E right?
Any #help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-89-section-3-passage-4-questions/