Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I move forward with career aspiration?

galleb61galleb61 Alum Member
edited September 2020 in General 17 karma

Hi all,

I am facing a really troubling fact and decision regarding if I should continue my pursuit of becoming a lawyer. I have recently finished my 7 sage curriculum and I started with a diagnostic score of 138. I have done practice sets and BR as well as watching explanation videos. That said in my last 4 prep test I have repeatedly gotten a 143 even after BR. I am feeling very discouraged and am not sure if I should even continue at this point. I have a high GPA but not even being able to break into the 150's is troubling. Not sure what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful. As background I started studying around the beginning of May and am registered to take the October 3 LSAT flex.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited September 2020 4300 karma

If you're considering putting the pursuit behind you and not continuing because of how you're scoring, I think you need ask yourself if there is a real purpose to why you started or want to continue. Don't let the score define you or discourage you from going to law school. If this is something that you set out to do and truly want to do, then don't give up. Change comes through continuous struggle and every step of this process requires sacrifice and struggling.

When you BR, don't rush, rather, rush to be patient :wink: Again it isn't about the number at the end of the day, its about learning something new from your mistakes.

Spend time recognizing your weaknesses and why they are causing you issues. Then search the forums for students who shared the same obstacle and find a strategy that could help you improve. If there isn't a topic on what you don't understand, post it!

Practice drilling your weak areas twice or three times a week. Before reviewing JY's explanation, write your own. Write down what made it challenging or easier compared to others, keep a log of what questions stump you and come back to these.

Lastly, enjoy the process. Once you fall in love and accept your imperfections, you'll find studying and practicing more enjoyable.

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    edited September 2020 111 karma

Learned from a lot (recently. after much self improvement, I realized I had to improve even more).
    Various philosophies help me. Stoicism. Knowing the why, or the reason overcomes the 'how'. Discipline... and knowing you wake up for a reason even on a bad day, and you can see many others doing so, lets you get through, any way you can. Good luck.

Ensure you know that many excuses if not most are lies. The truth shall set you free, go out there and get it done no matter what. Even if that isn't the law. AND also, even if you try and it doesn't work. Guess what?
    You have more knowledge and skills to apply to other disciplines, that may fit you better in the end than the law. It's not a failure nor a dissapointment. I will finish certain career things late, certain things I learned earlier, but this is part of life.

• Re: shorturl.at/zLM37
    • shorturl.at/pxT16
    • I like to try and focus on:
      --Nobility of purpose... making world a better place, choosing your sacrifice, helping others, and being the best you can be ... for them and for you.
  • JKPKHCMCJKPKHCMC Core Member
    31 karma

I echo Law and Yoda's advice above: making any big life decision will require some introspection about your reasons for doing so. Have you taken any time off between undergrad and now? Is law school what you really want to do, or is it a default path? Are there external pressures that are impacting your thinking?

Also, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, could it be perhaps the 7Sage curriculum is not a great fit for your particular learning style? Have you tried any other LSAT study materials/resources? As an educator, I know that not all students learn in the same way, or can connect to the material, if the pedagogical approach doesn't match the student's way of processing information. For example, I first did the Mike Kim LSAT book and improved maybe a few negligible points. My score went up drastically with 7Sage. My score actually went down several points after reading Ellen Cassidy Loophole, even though many people swear by the book. JY's theoretical framework of explaining everything through "relationships" really clicked with me, and that made all the difference in comprehending the material. It was like going from moving blindly through the forest to having a map with which to navigate. If nothing else, try to see if you can find material that really makes it "click" for you. And also give yourself time to let the material "soak" in your brain.

Lastly, don't to be too hard on yourself, regardless of everything...the world is experiencing a pandemic, and you state that you began studying this past May. The stress of the global situation might be wearing on you more than you realize. Take time to take care of yourself. There will always be law school, whether it's now or in the future. And if not law school, there is always something else, too. It may not feel like it now, but you'll have a future with or without the LSAT.

• galleb61galleb61 Alum Member
    17 karma

Thanks for the comments and encouragement kind strangers! I guess I perhaps will have to try a different way to learn as I do think perhaps 7sage is not the best for me right now... and as far as my "why" behind law School I did take some time off between my undergrad and now so I do hope to still continue the good fight.

• sgreer2015sgreer2015 Member
    73 karma

one of my friends is currently at a top 50 school and her highest score was a 150. Your score is not the only thing that defines you, and, like others have said, if you have a strong "why" then it will definitely shine in your application. Different approaches will also be helpful. I know a big change happened for me in LR when i started reading the stimulus before the question stem, contrary to what was recommended. Play around with it and make sure you're taking breaks! You can do it :)