LSAT Flex - how long do you think it will last?

lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
in General 227 karma

Title says it all but until when do you guys suspect LSAC to administer the flex? Do you guys see them doing so until early next year... or do you think Nov may be the last?

Comments

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I’ve seen a lot that says it may become a permanent option, meaning the regular LSAT will be limited. But who knows. I personally didn’t like the flex as much as the standard.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I think they need to figure out a future version that is equivalent to the past. The former LSAT obviously advantages those who are better at LR as compared to LG/RC while the current measures all three equally. What bothers me about the Flex versus in person is that what it is assessing and measuring is not the same.

• kfk0504kfk0504 Yearly Member
    edited September 2020 24 karma

After having chatted with my LSAT coach, who has 15+ years of experience in coaching students ever since she got her 1st over-170 score (173) some decade ago on PT 40 something and got a 179 very early on in her career, I suspect it'll last at least during this year's cycle, meaning we'd likely do LSAT flex until the next cycle begins in June 2021. So, I'd say any pre-June 2021 tests will very likely be administered in the flex format. The reason being is that, according to what she told me, the LSAC wants to be consistent as best as it can and it wouldn't risk being otherwise unless they come to have some gross interest in not administering the LSAT flex. And given the U.S. and North America in general are in the Covid crisis at the moment, there seems to be almost no reason or interest the LSAC might have in making transition to the original format, which requires a number of proctors and venues to host lots of test takers. In addition, previously in any given yearly cycle, the tests belonging to the same cycle have been, to some extent, expected to be consistent in terms of the level of difficulty, question formats, etc., though there were always some curveballs and experimental sections in those tests. If we took that account to our advantage, I guess it's somewhat fair to say that the LSAC wouldn't change the flex format all of a sudden at the midpoint of the cycle. That being said, it seems to me that it's unlikely that they will apply the original format to the remaining tests of this cycle. At bottom, this is all presumption and no one really knows other than the LSAC people which type of test format they'll be using for the remainder, but as a future test taker myself, I'm currently doing my prep with the flex format. But it's always safer to have a backup plan as you very well know. So, I recommend trying both and don't stress too much about it until you sign up for a test. As long as you've got a rock solid fundamental basis and feeling positive with your trajectory, it sure will work out just fine. Hope this helps.

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

@kfk0504 - Yes it really does! Thanks so much. I was contemplating on whether to sign up for the November/January test depending on whether January will be FLEX or not, but it sounds like your LSAT coach's presumptions sound pretty fair. Thanks again

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

I believe on the Powerscore podcast they said the flex will have to change at some point, because LSAC will need to start testing experimental sections again. Not sure when it'll change back, just wanted to pass along the info