Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does admissions consulting help?

edited September 2020 in Law School Admissions 769 karma

Im taking the LSAT in October and November and based on my pt scores I’m most likely going to be a reverse splitter. My gpa was a 3.83 and my most recent pt scores were between 159-161. I really want to get into Boston college and would be willing to spend the $3,500 for admissions consulting if it would help. Has anyone else used it and gotten into their top schools while being under the LSAT median??

Admissions consulting
  1. Should I get admissions consulting29 votes
    1. Yes it will help
      37.93%
    2. No waste of money
      62.07%

Comments

• 55 karma

Check if your undergrad has a career office with law school focused people, many do. You might get free "admissions consulting" from them. Especially if it's a big private school.

• edited September 2020 35 karma

If you're really just aiming for one specific place I don't know if you really need the package(though hourly/a la carte editing might be worth it). But first priority, I would say, get your PTs up and focus on October. The LSAT median is only 162! If you can hit the mid 160's you'll be well above both medians and probably a shoo in.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

To build off @joeytortellini 's good advice your priority until the LSAT is getting your score up. With a 3.83 if you can exceed the median/75th at BC you are a shoe-in with a decent application. Even if you just meet the median you are a very strong candidate. In that case you really just want to not screw up your application. If you are able to improve just a bit I would say you would be a great edit once/hourly candidate as long as you are confident your PS is okay. If you meet with them and they say it needs a lot of work you can pay for additional hours or whatever package looks best at that point.

Because of that, you can eliminate any need for much or all of the expense of consulting with a strong performance. If you meet the median you are no longer a reverse splitter but a strong applicant. Consulting, while it can benefit basically anyone, is most important for those of us that have non-standard applications. I do not think you should focus on this, but if you do not meet the median there would be additional important value added to consulting because instead of just needing an application that looks pretty good you need one that looks so good it makes them unconcerned about your below median LSAT. However, cross that bridge when you come to it. You are at around a 160 now, which should still leave areas where you can pick up a few extra points. What do your analytics say about the types of questions you get wrong? Can you address a few of those for an extra1-3 points? Have you full proofed LG? I know that if you are PTing at 161 then you are capable of scoring a 164+. That is all you need at BC. Keep working hard, you can make that dream happen.

• 769 karma

Thank you so much!!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Also, while I have not been super on top of this myself, it is best to also get a head start on your essays, at least some outlines, before the LSAT at this stage in the cycles. If you need a break from studying, maybe think a bit about what would be good topics for your PS.

• ALLCAA123ALLCAA123 Alum Member
    edited September 2020 125 karma

Do NOT spend 3500 on admissions consulting. For one thing, there're plenty of free resources online to help you with crafting an application. You can also find friends/relatives/professors who can make suggestions on your personal statement and resume. If that fails, you can always ask people here to help you (I'd be happy to help!) Second, law school admissions is mostly a numbers game. Focus on getting at least a 164 lsat, and you'll be accepted at BC with decent scholarship money. A 161/162 might get you in just as well, but probably without a scholarship.

Case in point, I submitted apps earlier this month with a good lsat/gpa combo, but fairly average resume and personal statement (I had a friend help me with them), and I already have two T40 acceptances. One of them came with a great scholarship offer, and I'm still waiting for the second one!

Really, just focus on crushing the LSAT. With a 159-161 PT average, my guess is that you're losing some points on logic games. If you can get your LG score down to a -2 or -0 (which isn't as hard as you might think), you'll do great. IMO, it's all about trial/error, experience, and doing what works best for YOU.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

I would add that there are some of us who never quite get the LSAT score we want and can feel crushed after getting a similar score several times. If, and only if, that happens to you, I HIGHLY recommend the 7Sage Admissions Consulting package. It has been well worth it for me so far, but I will update everyone when I start finding out about decisions.