Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improvements in PT's

AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
in General 239 karma
Hey guys, I've decided the best study plan for myself is to take Pt's once or twice a week, then go back and essentially blind review by understanding where each of my mistakes were made (all while going through the lessons 7sage provides). On my second practice test after diagnostic, I jumped 3 points. Today on my third, I went down 1 point. In the scheme of things, I feel like this if anything was an improvement. While taking the third PT, I didn't feel very confident with a lot of the questions, and thought I did much worse than the second PT, however that was not the case. Anyways, back to the point of this, do you guys think this is a good strategy? I know I can't expect a point jump every test, but maybe after 20 PT's, my score will be up 10 points.

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3545 karma
    Hi AlexanderL0. The answer to your question ("Do you guys think this is a good strategy?") depends on where you are now and where you want to go. If your BR score is in the high 160s and 170s, that means you have a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals, which means this strategy is on point for you. However, if your BR is not there, that means you still have some underlying weaknesses that you should fix before taking practiced tests.

Remember, PTs are valuable resources that should be used to determine what your logical weaknesses are in timed and pressured conditions. It is not a time to determine what those logical weaknesses are in the first place.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I wouldn't try to look at PT's as steps where each one is a point or so increase, they are more steps to understanding the test. There are tons of variables to consider that can and will affect PT scores. Even just the PT # alone could be a factor in a increase or decrease depending on the taker (i.e. someone doing a bit better bc they took a PT with a RC section that happened to be easy for that taker) Seeing a point increase is awesome! but you want to more look at a 5PT avg when looking at score increases and such.
    Feeling you did worse but ending up doing the same/better shows you still have some work in getting these questions down and getting familiar with the feel of answering questions and knowing when you are right (if you don't know then find out why you aren't sure your right!) Keep pushing and make that increase a trend that continues!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @jdawg113 makes an excellent point -- do not think of a PT as a way to get points, but as things to check off your checklist of "Things/Skills I Need to Have to Do Well on the LSAT"
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    BR is an important part of this process. If you see that your score is not high when you BR try to drill question types that are difficult for you. & focus on them until you feel you've mastered them.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Emphatically second all the above.