Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    sorry, nothing beats TLS pencil thread... that thing is golden lmao but black Tri-conderogas are top notch, prefer them over reg black ticons
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 7965 karma
    @jdawg113 How's the grip on the triangular blacks? Are you left/right handed?
    2654 karma
    right handed and fine, plus they don't roll lol... idk I like the feel/texture of them, reg black ticons feel pretty much like a normal pencil(holding wise)... I think the texture and size got me, I dont have small hands really so the thicker tricons are nice... Have heard good things about palomino's and warriors too
    7965 karma
    The rolling is a great point; I'm left-handed and our grips are usually pretty distinctive. And do they just fit a standard sharpener?
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    I prefer black ticonderogas.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    So if I purchase one of these am I guaranteed a 180?
    7965 karma
    @emli1000 Causation or correlation ???
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    If anything, it might be a correlation... and even then, not that... given that these are the pencils that sell most for the LSAT, there are chances that those people who purchase these pencils get more 180s than those who do not... but it could also be that all the 180 scorers come entirely from the group that does not purchase these pencils... :P
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Or the distribution could be anywhere in between
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I like the black Ticonderogas. My pencil sharpener is horrible though. :-/
    2654 karma
    it wont guarantee
    but it sure helps ;)
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    for what its worth, i'm a big fan of the triangular ticonderogas. great erasers as well
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Black Ticonderogas are responsible for my 181.

(But in all seriousness, when I took my LSAT I used a regular Ticonderoga. Always liked those for some reason)
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Ticonderoga pencils are the best! They write so smoothly -- the perfect combination of fineness and coloration
    3462 karma
    Never thought pencils mattered lol I'm using a pack I bought from Wal-Mart and they're Dixon brand. Let me see what all the hype is about and purchase Ticonderoga pencils.
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @emli1000 As long as the pencil points don't break easily, it doesn't matter all too much. But I'm a fan of the regular Ticonderogas because the ones that I have don't break easily and the erasers are soft, yet tough enough to erase well without ripping through paper.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Wow. I had no idea we couldn't even use mechanical pencils.
  • suntanlotionsuntanlotion Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Does it really matter
    2654 karma
    oh but of course
  • suntanlotionsuntanlotion Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    Nope I don't think so. Just follow lsac rules.
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    Thanks for this thread - I'll definitely check out some of the suggested pencils. Here's my story: I've been using the Staedtler Norica HB2's for a while and I like them (they're the blue pencils with white erasers). However, they seem a bit soft and end up dull after each LG game, each RC passage, and each LR section. In addition, you have to sharpen them a certain way, so the lead doesn't splinter when you first use them; if that happens, you get wide lines or worse - two parallel lines until the tip has worn down enough so there is only one part of the pencil engaging the paper. To alleviate these issues, I make sure to have a cache of sharpened pencils ready, so I can swap them out as I go, but this leads to a cluttered "mise en place."
    3462 karma
    Found what to use my gift card on ^_^
  • bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    269 karma
    No pencil kit is complete without a pencil sharpener that is LSAT-eligible. The Alvin Brass Bullet is awesome and cheap. Mine is as sharp as the day I bought it 3 years ago. Good LSAT-related review: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480&start=425
  • that individualthat individual Alum Member
    28 karma
    that TLS thread led me to these pencils:

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Hi-Uni-Wooden-Pencil-HUHB/dp/B001B8UH30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428265152&sr=8-2&keywords=mitsubishi+uni+hi+uni

they are pricy, to be sure, but black ticonderogas don't come remotely close to these in any category besides value. they are also ranked higher than the palomino blackwings by pencil enthusiasts (haha) and are currently cheaper than them too ($17 for 12 vs $22 for 12 blackwings). if you don't want to drop that much you can buy them individually here:

http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Mitsubishi-Hi-Uni-Pencil-HB/pd/10968

all in all, they are completely unnecessary but are definitely a joy to use.
    7965 karma
    @"that individual" Awesome! This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Will check them out.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @nicole.hopkins and others,

I'm very interested in the Blackwings. I am an admitted and unashamed "school supply nerd." My only concern is that LSAC regulations specifically state #2/HB and it looks like the Blackwings are not #2/HB. Judging by the TLS forum, it appears that people have used them with no problem. Do you have read any other specific information about them?
  • that individualthat individual Alum Member
    28 karma
    @nicole.hopkins np! hope you enjoy them too.

@brna0714 from what i understand, the blackwings are darker than #2/HB so they should be fine for bubbling. i believe the #2/HB requirement is in place to ensure that students don't use a lighter pencil which the machines could have trouble reading. that being said, just the thought of my lsat being thrown out because of a pencil grade requirement gives me anxiety so i'm sticking to a 'strict' interpretation of the requirement.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Everytime I look at this thread, I think to myself "Damn, these pencils are sexy... Makes me want to pick up writing again"... but then I remember I write better on the computer. :(
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I just got a box of 24 Black Ticonderogas. I have to say... they're just damn beautiful.
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 treat yo'self!

And just think how intimidating you will be to other test takers if you have black pencils ... and dress in all black ... and don't speak or have any facial expressions ... Wait, were we talking about highschool just now? I just got swept up in nostalgia.
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Well for nostalgia's sake, I wish I could have a pink skull and crossbones pencil case but the LSAC doesn't like individuality. Clear plastic baggy... so boring, but at least everyone will be able to see my badass Black Ticonderogas.
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 Hot Topic hangout post-LSAT !!!
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins LOL yussssssssssssss!
  • pseudonymouspseudonymous Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    521 karma
    Haha imagine if we went into the testing room with those brightly-coloured, novelty 20-in flexible rubber pencils from the dollar store, remember those? And if we brought along the cheesy giant pink erasers ("For BIG mistakes!") while we're at it. :-D
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah shhhhh that's my plan ...
    587 karma
    @pseudonymous Haha that actually sounds like a good LSAT practice strategy... if you can write with a flexible rubber pencil under a severe time crunch then you can do anything.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    so does anyone have a final preference :Uni Hi-Uni vs Blackwing ? I am currently using triangular tri-conderoga and have nothing against it. But I wnted ot try Blackwing since it is darker and i prefer dark for clarity esp games.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    I read that the Mirado Black Warrior sucks since paper-mate bought them. I used

http://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-Company-ANG333-2-12-pack/dp/B00314DBPI

and I liked the way they smelled, great eraser too!
    7965 karma
    Guys I got the Tri-conderogas ... while they are VERY comfortable, they are VERY difficult to sharpen as they are big and fat. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend them. I own 4 pencil sharpeners now as a result of trying to find one that will work with them and I've had to resort to whittling them like an old man on a porch with a pair of scissors. Very sad.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited June 2015 477 karma
    :-) @nicole.hopkins , I got them from office depot they come with their own sharpener. the fatness is a positive to me. I wish they were a little darker though. So which pencils would you recommend ?

1489 karma
    @pritisharma - I've tried the original Blackwing, the 602 and the pearl. They all fine looking pencils but they had to be sharpened too often for my taste. I admittedly write with too much pressure so take from that what you will.

I use the regular Ticonderogas and they are awesome.

I can confirm that the Black Warriors do suck now. Big time.
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    Guys I use normal #2 pencils... You know the ones we used in elementary school. What advantage do these other pencils give you?
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    @LoraxMan its cooler duh.. there are pencils and even more so sharpeners that are higher quality which means less of a chance of a tip breaking or the sharpener not working or something like that. 99% of the time it doesn't matter but its one less thing to worry about if you use something that people have had general good experiences with.
    1489 karma
    @LoraxMan - I don't think that anyone is arguing that the pencils actually offer any sort of advantage. If this is the sort of thing that we enjoy, then that should be the only thing that matters. I can only speak for myself with any certainty, I enjoy the aesthetics of fine writing implements. I collect fountain pens, etc. so seeking out the "best pencil" is just a sort of natural continuation of that interest.

TL;DR: To each his own, bro.
    2654 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    they are VERY difficult to sharpen as they are big and fat
    hmm mine came with a sharpener... its a bit annoying to start on a fresh one but not difficult at all imo
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    So I'm planning on buying the Black Ticonderogas, never actually bothered with pencils I just use whatever is near my desk, but I want to give these a try.

That being said, the ones on Amazon don't come with a sharpener, so could someone link me one that could sharpen these bad boys?

Would hate to be stuck in a position like @nicole.hopkins >.<
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I used to love ticongeroga blacks. Then a few days before the May LSAT I found warriors for cheaper at Target. Tried them and loved them - specifically they don't get dull as quickly.

BTW I'm a lefty and I was okay with the circular grip.
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    @bsm45lsat I am using : http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Double-hole-Tub-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B001E67Z16/ref=pd_sim_229_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=08KNCFJFBQ5J1QBFSY6E
    Thanks! Went with this sharpener.

The pencils are $20 per pack in Canada, so I just bought off Amazon.com for $6. Pretty ridiculous.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Wow, so weird that I was thinking about a thread like this because I wanted some recommendations, and here we have one right on 7Sage.