Stuck at 151 - REALLY need advice!

kpnobregkpnobreg Member
in General 28 karma

Hi everyone! I have been studying for the LSAT since late May. When I say studying I mean 1-2 hours 4 times a week up until mid July and I have been doing about 2-4 hours a day everyday but Saturdays. I would study more if I could but on top of work and being a full time student its difficult! I have improved my score a lot upon starting (diagnostic 137) which I am proud of, but REALLY am aiming for 158-160. I take the LSAT this Saturday for the first time, but I also am taking November. Obviously I know I won't be able to reach my goal by Saturday, but does anyone have any advice for how to boost my score 7-9 points or so in the next 5 weeks? I really don't want to have to retake after November.

My worst is RC, best is LG. My biggest issue is timing. I can't get to the last passage of RC EVER, I can never get past #19 on LR, and I can never finish last passage of LG.

Comments

• andywdaltonandywdalton Core Member
    9 karma

I'm around where you're aiming for and I've overcome the hurdle you're facing.
    What's your BR score typically? This will tell you if the problem is your fundamentals or just your time management. If you're getting BR scores in the mid 160s that means your fundamentals are probably where they need to be for the score you're aiming for.

The best advice I got was actually from a 7sage podcast interview with someone who broke into the mid-high 170s, one of the first ones I think. When your fundamentals are where they need to be you need to take a reckless pace.

For RC you should go at a pretty breakneck speed through your passages, get a low-resolution summary of each paragraph in your head while keeping your eye on what the author believes vs whatever he's arguing for or against, and then don't reference the passage again if you can help it (with the exception of portions where they point out a phrase). There are simply too many words to take your time reading carefully through all of the answer choices and referencing the passage. You need to grab the answer that's 60-80% right in your head and move on. Questions on RC shouldn't take you more than 30-45 seconds each to answer and you should have the passage done within 5 minutes I think. If you're not getting the scores you need on BR, make sure you're studying the curriculum to catch up. For this, some of the best pacing advice can come from the live commentary JY does on some of the PTs.

For LR, same thing. Read it once, identify the main conclusion (if there is one and it isn't a series of facts) and premises, and analyze the information based on the prompt. JY has some good videos on how to attack the support between premise and conclusion.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!