PT49.S2.Q12 - it is primarily by raising interest rates

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 1489 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-49-section-2-question-12/
Just wondered if anyone could provide some insight into how they approached this question.

I fell for the trap presented in E, I took "interest rate hikes generally will be perceived as needlessly restraining a growing economy" to be a sub conclusion. After watching the video explanation, I see how each premise supports the main conclusion as detailed in the final sentence of the stimulus. I then waffled between C and E because I felt that the fragment in question supported both the sub conclusion and the main conclusion, by way of the sub conclusion.

Does anyone have another way of explaining why the argument structure supports only the main conclusion, the last sentence? Also, is "accordingly" a indicator that is seen regularly?

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Almost as soon as I posted this, it occurred to me that the fragment in question wouldn't support "interest rate hikes generally will be perceived as needlessly restraining a growing economy" even if it were considered a sub conclusion. I labeled "central bankers usually try to raise interest rates before inflation becomes excessive..." as a sub conclusion so I suppose my questions still stand.

Thanks!
  • iiiSpooniiiSpoon Alum Inactive ⭐
    277 karma
    There is only one conclusion. The fact both C and E label their picked sentence as THE conclusion should have made you kick E to the curb, since you already correctly identified with the last sentence as THE conclusion.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Thanks. I guess I missed the distiction between THE conclusion and A conclusion. I believe that a sub conclusion will be specifically labeled as such in the answer choice. Do you agree, @E.CH.Poon ?
  • iiiSpooniiiSpoon Alum Inactive ⭐
    277 karma
    Yes. The answer choice will state subsidiary conclusion or something of that manner.