Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Test Format

odovek97odovek97 Member
edited October 2020 in General 38 karma

This is a pretty basic question but I have been unable to find a clear answer online.

What is the format of a standard LSAT? All the practice tests on here are 4 sections. Is that standard? I know this has changed with the new FLEX test which is only 3 sections but the January test looks like it will switch back to a standard LSAT format.

I have also seen things online about 6 section exams or 5 section exams... and have heard of an 'experimental section' being in exams. Is this 'experimental section' scored? Do you know it is the 'experimental section' when you take it?

I am also curious on the timing aspect? Is there any break between sections? I would assume so since you have 35 minutes per section and I do not believe you can go back to a prior section if you finish a later section early. How long is the break between each section? I have seen info on a 15 minute break between section 3 and 4 but that is it. If it were a 4 section test I would expect the break to be between 2 and 3?

I apologize if any of this was hard to follow, just wanted to lay all my thoughts out there.

I'd love to have a better idea of exactly what the format of the standard LSAT is to make sure I am preparing properly.

Thank you in advance.

help

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

Hey there,
    The standard LSAT is composed of 5 35 minute sections. Only 4 sections are graded 1LG, 1RC and 2LR’s + 1 experimental section which could be any of the three types. You won’t know which one is the experimental section. There’s roughly a 1 minute break after section 1 and 2. After section 3 there’s a 15 min break and then another 1 min break after section 4.