Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timers? Watches? Where can I take full practice exams

arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
in General 243 karma
Any suggestions for website that has online timer? Any suggestions for online proctor ? Any suggestions for live practice proctors in DC area?

I found this online thought it would be nice for test day lol.

http://180watch.com

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 7965 karma
    1) 7sage's proctor is the best hands down—I always use the app (and I have the proctor voice set to @"J.Y. Ping" because he soothes me ... )
    2) For watches, try www.35minutes.com . Affordable (half the price of the 180 watch), customizable, meets all LSAC guidelines (can be used at the actual exam). Huge help. Mine arrived super fast and the girl who makes them sends along little surprises :) I am left handed so I set mine up as a little tripod. I believe she makes left-handed versions as well.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins "because he soothes me..." LOL If only J.Y. was the proctor on test day. I have a 180 watch, they're expensive and I'd say if you can find something comparable for a cheaper price then go for it. They're aesthetically pleasing but I highly doubt the quality is better. Just be sure to practice with whatever watch you get for every PT so you get used to it.

I'm not from DC but perhaps a local law school? The university in my town has free LSAT practice exams once or twice per year. That might be a good place to start your search.

Good luck!
    7965 karma
    @arabprodigy30 Manhattan Prep offers free proctored exams—looks like there are 2 coming up in DC:

http://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/classes/details/?eventid=1619&eid=3
    http://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/classes/details/?eventid=1620&eid=3

While MP doesn't use fake LSATs generally you might still reach out to them to see which PT's will be given at each session. Even if both times are retakes for you I still think the experience of sitting for the exam would be a very good exercise (in fact if I were you I would attend both even if it's the June 2007 exam both times). But perhaps if you know which exam will be given you can hold off on looking at it leading up to the exams.
  • arabprodigy30arabprodigy30 Alum Member
    243 karma
    @nicole.hopkins A lefty watch !!! Bless your soul!! I am left handed, that is exactly what I need!!!
  • sdiaz2030sdiaz2030 Alum Member
    28 karma
    Nicole - just bought my 35minutes watch. Thanks for referral.
    243 karma
    @VegMeg55 Yea that 180 watch is way out of my budget. I just need something simple, not shiny (it triggers my ADHD haha ) .
    243 karma
    @nicole.hopkins JY voice does make me more alert when studying for LSAT hahah. Now when I practice on my own, I get that JY voice in my head when crossing out the answers haha
    7965 karma
    @arabprodigy30 then I'd recommend the 35minutes.com watch; definitely not shiny and the cheapest LSAT watch I've seen (like I say ... if I have/bought it, it was either free, cheap, or indispensable).
    243 karma
    @nicole.hopkins thank you so much ! I can't wait to get my watch
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Any analog watch works really as long as it doesn't make noise lol just want to get it in time to be able to use it enough to get used to using it. As for taking pts the library is always a good spot BC it's mostly quiet but not totally (like most test centers) your house, a coffee shop... You want to try and mix up your environments really
    7965 karma
    Now that it's proper Pre-Summer in Texas (mid 70's–80's an humid) the pool at my complex is the happenin' place. I'm counting on the influx of chatter and splashing to add a new level of distraction to my at-home testing environment. I've used the 7sage app to add distractions/white noise for a while now, but there's nothing like day-drunk shenanigans to challenge mental focus! I'll report back once I've done a few in this now-rowdy environment.

(And for those of you in the cold north ... well ... we have no state income tax, either. Just some things to consider #lifechoices )
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    You also don't want to get too comfortable with the 7sage app as a timer (great proctor tho) as you won't be looking at it in test day. The sooner you get your proper watch the better
    7965 karma
    @jdawg113 Couldn't agree more—I'm glad I got my watch early on because it's very different to have to set/monitor an actual watch versus looking at the app.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I use the 7Sage proctor. Right now I have it set to "Gayle" she sounds almost exactly like the proctor the first time I took the LSAT. Not sure if that's a good thing though. I need to adjust to using a watch.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @shine.on.me me too! All the others scared me when they came on to tell me about the 5 mins left...
    7965 karma
    I always jump when @"J.Y. Ping" gently/firmly gives the 5 minute warning. Sometimes my response is quite dramatic.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I used to have an old proctor application that every time "5 minutes remaining" was called, everyone else in the 'test' would mumble and one kid would yell out "Awww damn it!" Here's to hoping I don't become that person on test day... can't make any promises though.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @nicole.hopkins haha so it's not just me lol
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    Here is another watch - $35.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Score-LSAT-Watch-Exam/dp/B00SC6FJ3M

Has anyone used this one?
    7965 karma
    @JustinaJ I like that the watch from 35minutes.com has customizable watch faces. For instance, I got the one that has colored blocks of <8 minutes each with a 5 minute "red zone" from minutes 30-35 (I think it's type D). It has really helped me to get in the habit of finishing each game/passage/quarter of the LR section with time to spare to check answers, double check for bubbling errors, etc. The watch you linked looks great, but I definitely prefer something that more corresponds to how I actually need to manage my time as opposed to the sort of "average" approach in watches that lack a "warning period indicator." Plus I think mine was cheaper ;)
    243 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I haven't bought my watch yet, does your watch make a "ticking " sound? that ticking sound drives me crazy .
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Looks great! How easy is it to stop and reset? I want something incredibly easy to grasp so as not to waste time between sections.
    7965 karma
    @arabprodigy30 ZERO ticking. @Jengibre Super easy (and I'm between manicures at the moment—even easier with a full set). Love it to bits. 100% recommend. Plus the girl who makes them sends cute goodies that involve LSAT puppies :)
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Ordered. Thanks for the recommendation, @nicole.hopkins!
    243 karma
    Zero ticking? AWESOME!!!!! Order placed ha :D
    7965 karma
    AWESOME!
    7965 karma
    Yeah, my watch is sitting right in front of me and I can't hear a thing ... Held it directly up to my ear and only then can you even hear the mechanism at all.
    243 karma
    That is perfect and I love how it doesn't shine or have bling bling haha
    7965 karma
    It's quite minimalist! And there's a smiley face instead of a 0 :)
    223 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I couldn't find where you customize them :(
    7965 karma
    @JustinaJ You customize meaning you select the watch face. My favorite is D I think (the one with 4 blocks and a final 5 min block minutes 30-35).
    223 karma
    Thank you!
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    I also bought my watch from 35minutes (I did the 4x8.5 with 3 red at the end). I used it every day several times a day for nearly 8 months. No problems. I loved it. Worked like a champ on test day too. For those of you who are nervous about the resetting aspect between sections, I had no trouble there either. After each practice section I would reset it so I was quite proficient come test day. Also, because the watch was segmented into 8 minute sections, I got a feel for my rhythm in the different sections and usually ended up with spare time as a result which let me reset without pressure.

DO NOT WAIT to buy a watch for your test. You need to use a watch or your zen inner clock technique on every PT you take before test day to get used to it.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I just ordered my watch. I'm excited about getting it. I got R2 the 4x8.5 counting up, smiley at the end. :-) I think it will really help. Plus, it was one of the styles on special.
    7965 karma
    @shine.on.me Woop woooooop!!