Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparative passage approach

elenanisonoffelenanisonoff Core Member
in General 46 karma

Hi!

I haven't really taken to doing JY's approach to comparative passages throughout my studying process-- that is, dipping into the questions after reading the first passage. I've typically figured that it would be a time suck, but have recently started to sense that it could benefit me. Can anyone speak to this? I'm taking the Nov test in a week, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to hone this approach, rather than sticking to the read both passages and then dive into the questions method.

Thanks!!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8485 karma

I found it actually saves me time. Less going back to the passages, and some questions you can answer with only the first passage. YMMV.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

It's worth it to read the first passage and then jump into questions. You can easily eliminate answers when going through the questions just by knowing they are not relevant to passage A. If you read both passages then tackle the questions, you might mix up some of the details between the two passages then have to go back to find a citation. Whereas if you have only read passage A and the question asks "what was discussed in both passages" you can quickly eliminate anything that looks foreign.

If you find that what you are doing now works for you, though, probably better not to change things right before the LSAT