Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What i should i be getting on Sets of question

chupacabrachupacabra Member
in General 64 karma
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how everyone has been doing on the question sets given after every lesson?

I seem to be hit and miss and sometimes i get 8 out of 10 and sometimes 4 out of 10. My blind review also is not helping that much either as it seems i just seem to go with the same answer as before. what can i do other than re-watch the lesson to bring my marks up to a consistent 8 or 9 out of 10?

Comments

• VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Question sets vary in difficulty so don't get discouraged by not so stellar scores. Spend a crazy amount of time on blind review and be sure you're picking through every answer while proving to yourself exactly why you think the correct answer is correct and the incorrect answers are incorrect. Blind review is vital, absolutely vital so don't skimp on your efforts in that regard. Definitely re-watch the lessons and solidify the fundamentals of each question type. Re-do wrong answer choices (with BR of course), and once you're sure you have a solid foundation of the fundamentals for that question type continue to practice from older questions. Cambridge sells problem set packs of each question type from PTs 1-35 that might be helpful. Practice makes perfect but be absolutely sure to have the question type basics down before you move on to drilling. Good luck!
    587 karma
    I also want to add that Blind Review is a skill that comes with time and general LSAT comfort. I didn't understand the concept of BR when I first started studying and I would stick to my guns for almost every question, not from a place of confidence but more out of general laziness and ignorance of concepts (this is just my personal experience, please don't think I am calling you lazy or ignorant!). Now that I've spent so much time BRing I feel much more comfortable with the process and missing questions after BR feels like a punch in the face. If you don't feel comfortable with the problem sets right now, I'd recommend going through the problem sets, blind reviewing them, and then watching the videos for every question including the ones you get right. Once you are able to reason through the questions in a corollary manner to the video explanations, then you'll notice a significant improvement in your initial answers and your BR, and with time and practice you'll increase your speed and mastery of questions you used to find tricky. Sorry to give such a long response, I just wanted to stress BR to fellow students since I personally wasted too much time thinking that it is not helpful.
  • chupacabrachupacabra Member
    64 karma
    dont apologize for your response it was great. The LSAT is tough and its nice to know i am not the only one who is going through this. i think also im putting a lot of pressure on myself because i want to go to law school so bad that every time i do not do good on a problem set i get discouraged. I will definitely try what you told me. thanks @vegmeg155. Youre a champ
    587 karma
    Thanks @chupacabra! I'm so happy you found it helpful!!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @chupacabra I'll make a bold statement here: the more questions you miss—whether in question sets, drills, timed sections, or full-length exams under simulated proctoring conditions—the better**.

**A bold statement with one giant caveat. The more questions you miss, the better—SO LONG AS you commit to going the whole hog in Blind Review—for every. Single. Question. That you attempt.

Every time you get a question wrong, you are presented with an opportunity to address a weakness that unequivocally exists. You know you have a given weakness because you got the question wrong for a given reason. Period. Not, "Oh I just wasn't paying attention" or "Oh I just read it wrong." Nope: those situations right there are incontrovertible proof that you've got a weakness in the area of mental discipline (attention, task switching, filtering out distractions).

So guess what? Every time you miss a question, you've got a piece of insight that cannot be obtained any other way. Can a tutor help you understand why you're missing questions? Yes, for sure—and in cases where you just don't know why you're missing certain things at various intervals, a professional might be the resource you need to access. But before you get to that point of truly having no idea how to diagnose yourself, you must do the hard work of self-examination. And they won't be able to give you truly valuable insight (unless they are Jedi) unless and until you have practiced some self-reflection.

Do you read things wrong because your eyes get tired? Then get your contacts prescription checked or limit exposure to blue light (screens) prior to the test. Do you think a big word means one thing when it means another (or do you come across a word that you don't know—like prevaricate [in the RC comp passage about animal language]; I had to look that one up and I'm purdy smart, know English real good, etc. so ain't no shame in using a dictionary)? Ok, learn that word. Do you mistakenly choose an answer that actually strengthens on a Weaken question? All-righty, come up with a special notation for those types of questions that will cue you visually to weaken and not strengthen. And by the way ... I've done all these things. I write about them because it's my own experience.

Every missed question is an opportunity to redeem a weakness for a strength. So, err boldly!

What's the alternative? Getting things right for "meh" reasons in exercises (luck, wingin' it, etc.) and not knowing you have a weakness—one that can (and will) be exploited by the Test Makers. Bummer. Bet you'd wish in that scenario that you'd gotten more of those kinds of questions wrong for that reason when you were studying. Amirite? ;-)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    And a big fist bumb to @VegMeg55 — BR is THE tool. It's where we truly learn and the means whereby we maximize our potential. For everyone. No excuses, no exceptions. Even (and especially) if yer real smart.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Exactly what @nicole.hopkins said. My boss told me that the more questions i miss in the beginning of my studies the better because I have room to improve on. Especially focusing on BR. Once you start to BR and actually understand your reasoning along with the video explanations the better your intuition will become. It takes practice, and lots of practice.