Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Summary of @Christopherr's free RC tutoring sessions

chaplin___chaplin___ Alum Member
edited November 2020 in Reading Comprehension 596 karma

Have a conversation with the author
• this encourages a deeper analysis because it helps to imagine different viewpoints
• frontload: spend as much time possible on understanding the passage

Connect back
• to previous paragraphs
• previous parts of longer sentences (especially those with modifiers or ---.....---)
• pay close attention to referential phrases and anything that gave you pause

How to approach questions
• carefully read question stems
• think of ACs as contenders: treat each AC as not 100% correct, not 100% incorrect
• rarely go back and reread: unless it's a few seconds to verify some detail because sometimes our brain registers a word or phrase when skimming parts of a paragraph then we see an AC that includes that word/phrase but ends up being a trap AC. our brains find a way to make wrong ACs sound right

Active reading
• use examples: picture things in your head, or as JY says, flex your imagination (especially for sciences passages)
• engage with the passage right from the get-go
• having a structural low-res summary is always helpful, but memory retention is also important: your ability to recall detail can save time

Strategies on timing
• don't reread too much if down to two and it's a 50/50 tossup - if you can't get it in 5 seconds, flag and move on
• use "ctrl + f" as last resort

And most importantly: be careful and slow when reading; be aggressive when choosing and knocking out ACs

I've found @Christopherr 's RC sessions to be really helpful and I think this might be useful to those who couldn't make it!

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

This is awesome! Thanks for doing this @chaplin___ !

• FrankieChengFrankieCheng Core Member
    edited December 2020 8 karma

what is your time limit on passage

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    edited December 2020 307 karma

@chaplin___ thank you so much for posting these helpful notes! I did not attend this session, but am looking forward @Christopherr 's A/b session tomorrow night.

Question- you mentioned using ctrl+F. Is this legal and even doable on the digital LSAT? I've never thought about this. Probably because I've been practicing on an ipad up until recently. Thank you!

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

@a1ex_682 said:
    @chaplin___ thank you so much for posting these helpful notes! I did not attend this session, but am looking forward @Christopherr 's A/b session tomorrow night.

Question- you mentioned using ctrl+F. Is this legal and even doable on the digital LSAT? I've never thought about this. Probably because I've been practicing on an ipad up until recently. Thank you!

Yes you can do this during the LSAT Flex--I did it during the October one and it was fine. I've read multiple places that using it is allowed and it caused no issues for me when I used it.

• a1ex_682a1ex_682 Alum Member
    307 karma

@WouldRatherBeEating thanks for the quick reply! This is blowing my mind right now. I can imagine someone getting too dependent on it. It's good to know in case of emergency though.

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

Holy shit ctrl F would be hella useful.

• lsatdiva333lsatdiva333 Member
    227 karma

wow I never even thought about ctrl F tbh.