Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was suspended in my junior year, how will this affect my chances?

I was smoking pot in my dorm with friends when I set the smoke detector off, unfortunately, this being my second offense (first got me probation) I got suspended for the remainder of the semester. One week later they began sending everyone home because of the pandemic. Maybe I made a mistake but I don't think this should be one that haunts me into law school. Since I got suspended I have actually gotten my hands on a medical marijuana card, something that maybe I can mention in my application to soften it a bit? Thanks folks.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2020 4306 karma

Just going to give my two cents as a previous Resident Assistant on campus and am familiar with these situations. The main thing you want to do is to acknowledge that you broke school policy, regardless of the fact that you have a medical card now, you didn't then and you got suspended for not following policy. You want to address that factor, not the factor of why you were necessarily using it. I would double check with your school to see what's on file but I know that each offense at my school was documented in the students file and I could personally see how many conducts they had attended. So it is really important to address the first and the second suspension. It doesn't sound like you are going to add this but incase you were thinking about it; I personally wouldn't add in that everyone was sent home a week later because of a pandemic...doesn't affect your actions that caused the outcome.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

Uh ... you're going to have to write a mega mea culpa addenda for this.

First off, since you warned when it happened the first time, but then you did it again. You'll have to really explain HOW you learned from this situation and WHY you didn't stop the behavior after the first warning. (It tends to show disrespect for the rules). Secondly, you set off the smoke detectors. You (slippery slope bit) put other peoples' lives at risk with your action (there's a reason why smoking is prohibited ... plus, the fire department had to huff on over there and hand the school a ticket for wasting their time (more than likely)) Also, additionally, at the time, you were smoking a controlled substance illegally. ??! I don't think having a medical card now helps your case - I mean, would you still have acted in the way you did WITH it? Plus, getting kicked out of the dorms and then the dorms closing down because of covid does NOT help your case in your argument. It's a bit whiny. Take responsibility and show that you are regretful and learned from this in such a way that you're not a risk to repeat the behavior. The school wants to see you as someone that best represents their school in the legal profession - be that in court (with court rules that must be followed) or in paperwork.

And be grateful that you were only suspended. Classmates of mine smoked in front of an elementary school (didn't realize it was across the street from the dorm) and ended up serving jail time and serious community service.

• rockhardboonerrockhardbooner Live Member
    14 karma

@hopefulling said:

First off, since you warned when it happened the first time, but then you did it again. You'll have to really explain HOW you learned from this situation and WHY you didn't stop the behavior after the first warning. (It tends to show disrespect for the rules). Secondly, you set off the smoke detectors. You (slippery slope bit) put other peoples' lives at risk with your action (there's a reason why smoking is prohibited ... plus, the fire department had to huff on over there and hand the school a ticket for wasting their time (more than likely)) Also, additionally, at the time, you were smoking a controlled substance illegally. ??! I don't think having a medical card now helps your case - I mean, would you still have acted in the way you did WITH it? Plus, getting kicked out of the dorms and then the dorms closing down because of covid does NOT help your case in your argument. It's a bit whiny. Take responsibility and show that you are regretful and learned from this in such a way that you're not a risk to repeat the behavior. The school wants to see you as someone that best represents their school in the legal profession - be that in court (with court rules that must be followed) or in paperwork.

And be grateful that you were only suspended. Classmates of mine smoked in front of an elementary school (didn't realize it was across the street from the dorm) and ended up serving jail time and serious community service.

yeah uh i didn't mean to suggest that people going home a week later helped my case just a funny anecdote. i don't really appreciate the hostile basically telling me to hopelessly repent for what i did. i'm just like everyone else here, a prospective lawyer wanting to make a difference. i recognize i made my bed and i can sleep in it but by this point it feels long ago.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@"Law and Yoda" said:
    Just going to give my two cents as a previous Resident Assistant on campus and am familiar with these situations. The main thing you want to do is to acknowledge that you broke school policy, regardless of the fact that you have a medical card now, you didn't then and you got suspended for not following policy. You want to address that factor, not the factor of why you were necessarily using it. I would double check with your school to see what's on file but I know that each offense at my school was documented in the students file and I could personally see how many conducts they had attended. So it is really important to address the first and the second suspension. It doesn't sound like you are going to add this but incase you were thinking about it; I personally wouldn't add in that everyone was sent home a week later because of a pandemic...doesn't affect your actions that caused the outcome.

agreed! I would acknowledge that you did wrong. I wouldn't really mention the medical card, or the pandemic thing. On an application file it would sound more like excuses. And yea, just acknowledge you did wrong and own up to it on the addenda.

I do think there are some hostile comments on this post. OP was merely asking for advice on how to go about their situation.

• edited December 2020 1952 karma

@rockhardbooner said:
    I was smoking pot in my dorm with friends when I set the smoke detector off, unfortunately, this being my second offense (first got me probation) I got suspended for the remainder of the semester. One week later they began sending everyone home because of the pandemic. Maybe I made a mistake but I don't think this should be one that haunts me into law school. Since I got suspended I have actually gotten my hands on a medical marijuana card, something that maybe I can mention in my application to soften it a bit? Thanks folks.

i think smoking pot probably won't keep you out of a law school (as my dean used to say: "petty stuff like drinking/partying/smoking pot won't be too detrimental, unless you've killed your roommate").
    but i think what might be a bit more serious in your case is the fact that this was a repeated violation.

i think you'd need to write a compelling addendum regarding this issue.
    an important part of an addendum is to convey that you "take responsibility for your actions and say what you learned." essentially, you'd need to "make it clear that you’ll never do it again because it was wrong."
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-write-a-character-fitness-addendum/

but when the adcom sees the repeated violation on your record, it becomes a bit harder to sell it. so i'd make sure to have a killer addendum.

i recommend working with an admissions expert with your addendum.
    maybe start by setting up an appointment with the pre-law advising office at your school.
    if they're not useful or if you don't trust them, 7sage also offers consulting service by the hour:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll-hourly/

good luck!

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@rockhardbooner said:

@hopefulling said:

yeah uh i didn't mean to suggest that people going home a week later helped my case just a funny anecdote. i don't really appreciate the hostile basically telling me to hopelessly repent for what i did. i'm just like everyone else here, a prospective lawyer wanting to make a difference. i recognize i made my bed and i can sleep in it but by this point it feels long ago.

This person isn't asking you to hopelessly relent, they are suggesting that you take responsibility for your actions rather than making excuses and move on. That's literally what schools have stated they want to see in C+F addenda. But do what you want!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" makes an important point that I don't think can be underestimated. The repeated violation is the bigger issue and will require a very good addenda to address. It sounds like you did not face any criminal charges, which is fortunate for you, but you are going to have to address a concern about your judgement as well as the offense itself given the second violation.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Yeah, you need to adjust your approach here.

One week later they began sending everyone home because of the pandemic.

Irrelevant.

Maybe I made a mistake but I don't think this should be one that haunts me into law school.

Wrong attitude.

Since I got suspended I have actually gotten my hands on a medical marijuana card, something that maybe I can mention in my application to soften it a bit?

Also irrelevant, and you aren't trying to "soften" anything, nor should you be trying to make excuses, justify your reasoning, or downplay what you did or the weight you think it should carry.

Your C&F addendum should be succinct, candid, and potentially show that you've grown since and/or as a result.

We all make mistakes... a lot of us even get caught, but if you try to address this as your post suggests you might, you are the one that will be causing it to haunt you.

Feel free to send me your addendum if you want someone to take a look. I've done way more/worse and performed way above my numbers last cycle, so I apparently didn't screw my addendum up too bad.

• rockhardboonerrockhardbooner Live Member
    14 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Yeah, you need to adjust your approach here.

One week later they began sending everyone home because of the pandemic.

Irrelevant.

Maybe I made a mistake but I don't think this should be one that haunts me into law school.

Wrong attitude.

Since I got suspended I have actually gotten my hands on a medical marijuana card, something that maybe I can mention in my application to soften it a bit?

Also irrelevant, and you aren't trying to "soften" anything, nor should you be trying to make excuses, justify your reasoning, or downplay what you did or the weight you think it should carry.

Your C&F addendum should be succinct, candid, and potentially show that you've grown since and/or as a result.

We all make mistakes... a lot of us even get caught, but if you try to address this as your post suggests you might, you are the one that will be causing it to haunt you.

Feel free to send me your addendum if you want someone to take a look. I've done way more/worse and performed way above my numbers last cycle, so I apparently didn't screw my addendum up too bad.

Thanks this is a very helpful answer. Again, not trying to make excuses for myself. I will surely give more thought and revision to the addendum that I write than the comments I make on 7sage.