Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice re Law School in my Hometown

TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
edited December 2020 in Law School Admissions 495 karma

OK guys. I got into a very respectable school in my hometown. I visited and love it. I can live at home and commute, plus i was given a great scholarship. Long story short, I could go to law school for very cheap and not have to worry about living expenses. What do you guys think? Is it hard to live at home? Is it worth it to incur more debt to go somewhere else and live on my own? Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2020 4306 karma

First off, congrats! I'm sure there is a weight lifted off your shoulders! I think you have a lot to think about and truly only you at the end of the day will know what's best for you. Going to answer these a bit out of order;

1) Is it hard to live at home?
    That's tough to answer because everyone's environment is unique to themselves. If you're currently comfortable with your living situations and don't believe it'll be added stress during law school, then stay home and enjoy that opportunity. If you believe that some unnecessary stressors will pop up and distract you then see what options are out there. As much as I love being at home, I'm slightly over being told to eat fruits everyday (which I do on my own anyways LOL) so for that reason I'm out :joy:

2) What do you guys think?
    I think a couple factors will play into your decision; A] How is the law school rated; how is it rated in terms of what you're interested in, employment rate, bar passage, etc. B] If other schools offer you a scholarship are you willing to consider those schools? C] Do you want to stay in your hometown now or in the future. Though it isn't horrible to study somewhere you won't be practicing, building connections and networking where you will be practicing is huge.

3) Is it worth it to incur more debt to go somewhere else and live on my own?
    For some this answer is no. For myself, this answer is yes. Everyone has different goals but no one can put a monetary value on your aspirations. You can't put a price tag on your dreams. Whichever you choose, choose the option that'll create the most happiness in your life and not regret.
    P.S-Your username is very fitting for this topic lol ~Best of luck!

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

@"Law and Yoda" thanks for the great answer. I definitely have some things to think about. I plan on practicing and living in my hometown, so maybe that is the best route for me. If i find living at home sucks, i can easily move out. I am pretty confident that won't be an issue though. I would probably need to get a significant scholarship to really consider anywhere else, unless i get into one of my reaches. Lots to think about! Thanks again

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

live at home while you are still able to. there's no reason to fall into debt your first year of law school, you literally have the rest of your life to live on your own! focus on doing well in school (of course, all of this is assuming you feel comfortable in your current home environment)

• dutchiebrowndutchiebrown Member
    170 karma

I think moving back in is difficult for some (like me) but, I plan to move back in with my parents for 5-6 months to save more money before I head off to school. I would think about the long term situation concerning finances and what is best for your situation, you know yourself the best :smile: