Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting from 165 to 170+ by February LSAT

AA114211AA114211 Member
in General 39 karma

I'm off school until February 1st, so I have unlimited time to do this. I've been studying since August and I really need to take this LSAT exam.

Here is where I'm at -
LR #1 - usually minus 6
LR #2 - usually minus 4
RC - anywhere from minus 3 to minus 7
LG - consistently minus 3 or minus 2

I'm pretty sure LG might get to minus 2, but otherwise I'm fine taking the minus 2. I really need to improve on LR and RC.

LR wise, I've been tracking which questions I get wrong and I mostly get these types wrong:
- assumption
- strengthen/support
- resolve paradox
- weaken
- parallel reasoning

RC wise, I seem to get everything right on the first passage and then the third and fourth are where I have the hardest time. I am pretty sure my mind just gets tired by this time in the test. How do you resolve this problem? The questions I most get wrong here are:
- specific author opinion
- infer from detail
- find an analogy

How do you all recommend I improve? Timing isn't really a problem for me, I usually have time left to check on LR and RC but I am really tired by then. Maybe I should spend more time on each question and more time checking over?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• EbethStudent16EbethStudent16 Alum Member
    82 karma

I'm still working to improve my RC, so I'm right there with you. If you have time to go back on RC, then I'd say spend a little bit more time upfront reading the passage or the answer choices. I would much rather have a better handle on each passage in the moment than have to come back to it later on when my memory of the passage may have diminished. Hope that helps!

• AA114211AA114211 Member
    39 karma

@EbethStudent16 thank you! I will try that. Do you know if we can take notes on every section on the LSAT flex? Maybe noting a bit would help me.

• Crston6513Crston6513 Core Member
    4 karma

@AA114211 - I took the Flex in November and they allowed note taking on every section. Five blank sheets of paper (lined, unlined, or graph) were allowed. I recommend trying to take notes and see how it goes - it helped me quite a bit. Best of luck - I am also taking the Flex in February.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I think you definitely have room to improve. What do you think you are strong on? What enables you to score in the mid-160's? Finding out why you are doing well and how you can make those strengths work harder for you is a good way to get a few more points. Knowing where you are weak reasoning-wise is another good way to improve.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

To clarify, I don't mean question types or anything like that. Some people swallow the 7Sage curriculum whole and have a great grasp of how to diagram conditionals and things. That was never me, but I have an excellent understanding of language as an applied linguist and over time made that work for me. There are usually multiple ways to get the right answer on the LSAT, making sure you are using your own strengths, growing them and applying them will help you break 170. So will gaining new strengths.