Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

was PT72 very difficult or was it just me

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
in General 795 karma

did anyone else find PT72 wildly difficult? i took it earlier this week and got absolutely wrecked. granted, i wasn't in the test-taking mood when i sat down for it so i knew i probably wouldn't be scoring my best. and i did guess the entire last logic game (seriously wtf was that?). but even LR destroyed me and that's usually a very reasonable section for me.

im signed up for the january test and my score for PT72 was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than my last few tests :(

Comments

• WrightBrotherWrightBrother Member
    17 karma

It's not just you trust me. Took 71 and got a really good score then took 72 two days after and scored significantly below my average. The blind review wasn't much better either. That test is just evil I guess haha.

• LSATbekeeLSATbekee Alum Member
    137 karma

Not just you. The game did some injustice to my score.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

I missed a lot of questions on that logic games section - which is ANNOYING, I'm usually at or near zero. Last game, boohiss. I even missed a couple of questions in the 2nd game !!??
    But, in a weird way, I did better than normal on the RC section (so there's hope!). But, yup, that LG section is prepping me for taking PT88 this weekend (LG self-esteem kick).

Nope, not just you!

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@WrightBrother said:
    It's not just you trust me. Took 71 and got a really good score then took 72 two days after and scored significantly below my average. The blind review wasn't much better either. That test is just evil I guess haha.

PT71 was my best score yet. And PT72 was one of my lowest. I guess it’s a reminder not to get too comfortable in the days leading up to the test

• LegallyBrunettteLegallyBrunettte Core Member
    74 karma

You're not alone! PT 72 was pretty tough in the LR & LG sections, especially in comparison to PT 71. I'm in the same boat, PT 71 was my highest score thus far and PT 72 is one of my lowest. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches; something to keep in mind as future law students and lawyers.

I'm signed up for January as well, using this as motivation to work on accuracy leading up to test day and to make sure that PT72 is the last lower score I get for the remainder of the study period. One outlier score is a disappointment not a set back.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

Man the games keep getting harder and harder. I thought I had mastered this shit until I started doing more recent PTs. 15 days to go and I'm obsessively redoing games over and over and over.

• asdf12345asdf12345 Member
    271 karma

72 and 86 are personally the hardest PTs that I've encountered

606 karma

@asdf12345 said:

68 game 4 fucked me up real nice.
    i'm doing all of 72 and 73 tomorrow (they have a flex version of 73 on lahub), just finished 71 games today. wish me luck

edited January 2021 606 karma

@asdf12345 said:

72 LG wasn't so bad at all.

First game took too long (like ~12 min LOL, but my brain was slow, took too long to warm up).

2nd game took about 8 mins.

3rd game was a joke, 7 min max.

4th game was a 10 min game. I had to do it in 8 because I was slower upfront. Unique game, but you just had to draw a few trees out. Not impossible.

I went -3. got Q2 & 6 wrong LOL, and Q23 (last one)

I think it comes down to the types of games you like and are good at. First game was nothing special, but as you see, it took me way way too long. Someone else would've have nailed this game in 8 mins. If there was an In/Out game, I would have definitely bombed this section and retreated to fetal position.

2nd game was standard too. I think it should've taken less than 7 mins.

3rd game, target time is 7:54 (lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-4-game-1/), which is far too long. The game was very restrictive. 5 elements, 5 virtually defined slots, simple rules. You can juggle them all in your head without looking at the paper.

4th game requires abstract thinking and time to play around with your approach. If you expect a certain 'type' of game and you freeze up there, you're screwed. If you have your fundamentals down and you went -1/-0 on all the other games, you can go -2 to -4 on the entire section no problem, you just have to gauge your losses properly and move strategically while not expecting to be perfect. Excellence is attainable, perfection is difficult.

I think there were definitely harder sections than 72. If you had trouble here and not on other PTs, I think you're in excellent shape nevertheless and the odds are certainly in your favor.

As for LRs, I'm not touching that right now I have to cover all LGs first before the exam, so I can't comment on that - perhaps they were very difficult sections to make up for the LGs. Good luck!

795 karma

@whatsmyname said:

@asdf12345 said:

68 game 4 fucked me up real nice.
    i'm doing all of 72 and 73 tomorrow (they have a flex version of 73 on lahub), just finished 71 games today. wish me luck

I haven’t done 86, maybe I should get that out of the way now so I can work out the logic games!

795 karma

@whatsmyname said:

@asdf12345 said:

72 LG wasn't so bad at all.

First game took too long (like ~12 min LOL, but my brain was slow, took too long to warm up).

2nd game took about 8 mins.

3rd game was a joke, 7 min max.

4th game was a 10 min game. I had to do it in 8 because I was slower upfront. Unique game, but you just had to draw a few trees out. Not impossible.

I went -3. got Q2 & 6 wrong LOL, and Q23 (last one)

I think it comes down to the types of games you like and are good at. First game was nothing special, but as you see, it took me way way too long. Someone else would've have nailed this game in 8 mins. If there was an In/Out game, I would have definitely bombed this section and retreated to fetal position.

2nd game was standard too. I think it should've taken less than 7 mins.

3rd game, target time is 7:54 (lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-4-game-1/), which is far too long. The game was very restrictive. 5 elements, 5 virtually defined slots, simple rules. You can juggle them all in your head without looking at the paper.

4th game requires abstract thinking and time to play around with your approach. If you expect a certain 'type' of game and you freeze up there, you're screwed. If you have your fundamentals down and you went -1/-0 on all the other games, you can go -2 to -4 on the entire section no problem, you just have to gauge your losses properly and move strategically while not expecting to be perfect. Excellence is attainable, perfection is difficult.

I think there were definitely harder sections than 72. If you had trouble here and not on other PTs, I think you're in excellent shape nevertheless and the odds are certainly in your favor.

As for LRs, I'm not touching that right now I have to cover all LGs first before the exam, so I can't comment on that - perhaps they were very difficult sections to make up for the LGs. Good luck!

It’s funny you said the first game took you a long time because when I got to it, just reading the stimulus and rules confused me so I moved on to the next games. It turns out that game was actually really easy, I was just expecting it to be harder than it was! And for the last game the stimulus really made no sense to me. I went over it with a tutor and it took me like 40 minutes just to understand the set up and how it worked. It really wasn’t intuitive to me at all but I’m glad I saw a game like that now instead of seeing it for the first time on Jan 16. Most miscellaneous games have the same sort of set up (like a sequencing game with lots of layers- I can think of so many misc games that are like that) so I’m a little thrown off that I was so stumped

I used a table that I sort of made on the fly to do 72/4

Have you done LG from PT 74? Now that was a tough section for me. I went +2m over target on games 1-3 and made 2 mistakes, as well as couldn't answer any of the last game. Such a frustrating section - it captures all of my weaknesses - and that's what I mean, it depends on your play.

Gotta drill that shit hard, 2 weeks to go.

271 karma

@whatsmyname the LG wasn't a problem for me! What I meant by most difficult PTs was that I had issues with the LR in 72 and 86

• Oneluis93Oneluis93 Core Member
    28 karma

lol that 4th game on LG was hard. Also had trouble with some of the LR questions too

795 karma

@asdf12345 said:
    @whatsmyname the LG wasn't a problem for me! What I meant by most difficult PTs was that I had issues with the LR in 72 and 86

yeah LR was surprisingly difficult for me. when i did PT 71 i got only 2 wrong on LR, but for PT72 I got a whopping 11 wrong... whew.

@kilgoretrout said:
    @asdf12345 said:

Wow I really gotta try that LR section now. Have you done 75/4/4? Now that's a beautiful mindfuck. Hands down the most confusing LG I have seen, and I've done all of them from 1-75 so far.

And pardon my language, it's just the way i am.

edit: here's a list of hardest LR sections from a more seasoned test-taker if you want to practice. I took it from reddit. It doesn't include the 80s, but 72 is not on his/her radar

Logical Reasoning:
    5 Star- PT 14 s4, PT 24 s2, PT 28 s1, PT 45 s1, PT 70 s4

4 Star- PT Feb 97 s1&3, PT 14 s2, PT 17 s2, PT 21 s3, PT 22 s2&4, PT 23 s3, PT 25 s2, PT 36 s1, PT 39 s2, PT 40 s3, PT 43 s3, PT 44 s4, PT 47 s3, PT 48 s4, PT 49 s2, PT 51 s3, PT 56 s2, PT 58 s1, PT 59 s2, PT 63 s3, PT 71 s3, PT 76 s2

271 karma

@whatsmyname i saw that list too but i think difficulty is subjective. for some of the sections listed I actually did very well so I think it's more like luck when it comes to LR.

606 karma

@asdf12345 said:

agreed, and how sharp/well rested you are on the day of.

271 karma

@whatsmyname i just got destroyed by PT 77 LG 3 check it out if you want a rlly hard game. just ptd 77 lr -3 lg -4 rc -3 not great but not too terrible.

@asdf12345 said:
    @whatsmyname i just got destroyed by PT 77 LG 3 check it out if you want a rlly hard game. just ptd 77 lr -3 lg -4 rc -3 not great but not too terrible.

-10 is pretty good, not perfect, but not not great either ;)

I did 77 today as well and game 3 wrecked me. Such bad wording. Easy once you get what the hell they're asking for. I half guessed all of them and went -3 on that game. It was pretty clear it's a game worth skipping.

LG 78 is very easy, try that for a confidence booster :smiley:

271 karma

@whatsmyname thanks haha that was the worst ive done in LG in a while im doing 89 on wednesday

@asdf12345 said:
    @whatsmyname thanks haha that was the worst ive done in LG in a while im doing 89 on wednesday

I'll do it with you. I thought 88 was the hard one?

ooh, and i finally ran into the infamous computer virus game - it was kind of fun actually - PT 79

271 karma

@whatsmyname i did 88 got 171 and for some reason i did well on the virus game. I swear this test is so random 😂

• tatas911tatas911 Member
    76 karma

I was definitely thrown off by the first LG. and found LR S3 #7 like very hard??? wtf

606 karma

@asdf12345 said:

89 today?