Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kind of bad at Reading Comp. Any tips?

acb335acb335 Free Trial Member
edited January 2021 in Reading Comprehension 22 karma

So I'm good at LR and LG and got to a point where the main questions I miss are stupid mistakes.

Unfortunately, I just suck at RC. I am good at it when I like the topic, and have knowledge about it, so I guess on the LSAT there is a POSSIBILITY I could do well, but far too often I miss 2-3 questions a section, which is obviously not good.

I've tried reading slowly and taking comprehensive notes. I've tried whipping through it taking no notes. Both gave me kind of crappy results. I know what the Kaplan Method is but I feel like it's too tedious for me to actually do on test day.

Has anyone else found out how to successfully get RC questions right?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

You're probably not going to like hearing this, but I had to get a tutor. "Reading slowly" and "carefully" just didn't help because there were details that I was just missing and worse, I wasn't even aware that I was missing them until someone pointed them out.

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

Hi! I think what helped me a lot was trying a bunch of strategies until something clicked and worked for me.

First I started untimed and started to take super detailed notes on low-res/high-res, tone, MP, etc. I tried to make sure I was understanding why I got an answer incorrect.

When I was finally understanding what I did wrong, then I started to do things timed. I experimented with giving the passage more time or the questions more time. Personally, it helps me to give the passage more time, but different things work for different people.

And then I stopped doing annotations when I finally understood what I was doing. Key is to understand what you're reading, understand what the LSAT questions are typically like and the answers that tend to be right.

• NathalieSNathalieS Member
    27 karma

I am currently working on reading comp and I bought a textbook to help - they suggest to try and time yourself for practice only giving yourself 6 minutes. If you cannot get a question, skip it and come back to it. By practicing reading fast and staying focused - picking up on key terms it can help you even if you do not understand what the passage it really talking about. By giving yourself 6 minutes - you can bank 2.35 minutes per passage and then use the remaining 10 minutes to go back and figure out what you did not grasp.

• Flex KingFlex King Core Member
    83 karma

I am on the same boat - I pray before my RC hoping Jesus will take the pencil

• Flex KingFlex King Core Member
    edited January 2021 83 karma

On the serious note - what I did was I ignored everything in the books and it helped. I read through the questions stems first THEN read the passage. I drilled through loads of PTs using this method as a practice, and by doing these I developed a sense of what types of questions LSAT would ask and what parts in the passage I need to focus.

After I got this skill set I can dig right into the passage and focus on the important parts guessing 3~4 questions that will come up (you can still read through the question stems for each passage if that works better for you; it takes less than 30 seconds). I got my RC from -8 to -3~4 by doing this. It's not perfect but it's an achievement for me since I always sucked at reading. Try it out and see if it helps.

• chaplin___chaplin___ Alum Member
    596 karma

in the same boat. RC makes or breaks me, I can go from -3 to -11 from one PT to the next