Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Group 3 and 4 plus Group 1

Hey everyone...

I'm only about a quarter of the way through the curriculum, so perhaps this is discussed later in the courses, but after being confused with how group 3 and 4 interact, I sought out explanations as to how to combine rules and ultimately settled on just following the rules as JY presented them...

However, that led me to thinking of examples where this might not hold true, and I came up with the following example which combines group 1 and group 3, based on the example from the cheatsheet:

All horses are strong, unless they have been drugged.

Obviously, grammatically this isn't a complicated sentence, so I suspect it is something we would see fairly frequently on the LSAT. That being said, I'm curious how we tranlslate a more complicated sentence like above? What I came up with was:

All: group 1, sufficient

All horses: H
are strong: S

H-->S
/S-->H

unless: group 3, negate sufficient
unless they have been drugged: D

At this point, it seems like if we treat the first statement, "All horses are strong" as X, and "unless then have been drugged" as Y, then we should have /Y-->X

Therefore, is the following correct?

/D-->H-->S
/S-->/H-->D

If it is not a horse that is strong, then it has been drugged.

Please #help?

Comments

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    1211 karma

This is an embedded conditional, which is talked about later in the CC (https://7sage.com/lesson/mastery-embedded-conditional/)

Your statement, “All horses are strong, unless they have been drugged” would look like this:

H → [/S → D] , which would further be translated to:
    H and /S → D (if you are a horse and you are not strong, then you have been drugged)

OR

H → [/D → S], and would further be translated to:
    H and /D → S (if you are a horse and you have not been drugged, then you are strong)

• Sailor Moon LSATSailor Moon LSAT Member
    200 karma

You can also look at it by pushing horses up, and knowing that they are talking about all horses, and just look at the conditional/relationship between strong and drugged. Since you know you are talking about horses, you know that they are strong, unless they are drugged. This also gets you the right conditional.

• 11 karma

Thank you! Patience is a virtue I suppose, so I was just jumping the gun and jumping to conclusions like usual. Much appreciated.