PT11.S2.Q17 - Labeling high calorie foods as "sugar free"

isdmyungisdmyung Member
edited February 2021 in Logical Reasoning 121 karma

What is the difference between AC C and E?
Both ACs look very similar in form, but is it because C says needs of the city as a whole while E just says that serves an area well? The stimulus doesn't say that Chen's plan is what the city "needs" but that it is "better for the city as a whole"

I could be missing the whole point here. When identifying the flaw, I thought it was how Ripley's plan was being attacked because of the reputation of its supporter who places its own interests even at the detriment of the city (felt kind of ad hominem-ish). In this sense, both AC C and E seem to be performing the same flaw.

Please help and thank you

Comments

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited January 2021 500 karma

I might be wrong about this, but I think the difference between C and E is that in C, the city is protecting special interests, whereas in E, the city is protecting its own interests.

The stimulus says that Smith Stores knows where its own interest lies and has supported its own interests in the past. In E, it says, 'the city has always ignored the needs of the suburbs and sought to protect the interests of the city.'

I chose C originally, but I just don't think we can take special interests as meaning, its own personal interest. Also, for C, we don't know that Chen's plan 'addresses the needs of the city as a whole'. We just know that it is better because it's not Ripley's plan.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Alum Member
    656 karma

Nope, you're not missing the point. You're almost there. I also identified the ad hominem flaw in the stimulus and was able to narrow it down to one answer. Ad hominem is present in E, but not C.

For parallel flaw, it is more important for the answer to replicate the flaw in the stimulus rather than the exact structure. Stimulus ad hominem: instead of giving us a reason to believe Chen's plan is better, the author tells us what he thinks about the store that supports the other plan.

Answer E: Has the ad hominem flaw. Are we told why we should go with the light-rail system? Nope, no support. The author just tells us what he thinks about the people who support the other plan (not to go with the light-rail system).

Answer C: At first glance, it may sound like the answer is making a comment about the city council as an entity (ad hominem), but it's not. I think this was a trap they set up and it was so subtle. C says, "whereas the city council is protecting self-interests."

Whereas means in contrast or comparison to. What's being compared? Budgets.

The premise says "the mayor's budget addresses. . . whereas the city council. . ." This tells me this is about the city council's budget and not the city council itself.

Furthermore, I think C is a reasonable argument (therefore, its not a contender for me). The premise provided does address/support the conclusion. Are we given a valid reason why the mayor's proposal is better? Yes, it addresses the needs of the city instead of special interests. Makes sense to me.

Parallel Flaw Note: I find that when I'm stuck between 2 answers that "seem to be performing the same flaw," it's almost always the case that one is flawed and one makes a reasonable or valid argument. It's easy to miss this when I'm super focused on matching up the structure of the stimulus and answer choice. So this is something I always consider.

• isdmyungisdmyung Member
    121 karma

Your explanation is brilliant and answers my questions clearly!! Thank you.