Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Link to google slides that many have been asking for! I explain my process to -0 LG

kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
edited February 2021 in Logic Games 1687 karma

----> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BP1NnndhE5i6cbuF2GLPetUgzwtr3rUaDfEZuaIJXhE/edit#gid=0
The google sheet I made has every Core curriculum game in it(I believe) and broken down by color for each question type, plus a few games along the way I kept to keep my skills fresh(to the right). Once I started to keep track of the questions and what I did wrong, for example if I missed an inference I would write down the game and what I did wrong and also the inference that I missed, the number of questions I miss dramatically decreased.
I would mark down every game that I had the slightest struggle with or that I did not feel 100% comfortable with. I would also color code the games that I got a question wrong with or went over by 0:45 (red) plus I'd note if it was one question, setup or just slow overall.
I would code the ones I got correct and undertime but did not feel comfortable yellow.
I would code the one I got correct, undertime, and feel comfortable green.
On the sheets if you scroll down you will find the CC games by question type. If you scroll to the right you will see the games from actual exams and games from 1-35. I left some games here to show you how I coded them and put them in descending order, I deleted a bunch because I had lots of inner dialog that was not PG rated to help remember certain things, but the categories are there and so is the color coordination of the ones I got wrong.
I would appreciate that everyone who wants to use it just copy it to there drive to start working on personalizing it so it does not mess up the original.
I also made a list of the LR questions that I would use to keep notes about certain styles(someone deleted my notes working on getting them back) and what to look for on those particular style questions along with a color code system of priority and difficulty.
I also would put words I came across studying that I did not know at the bottom with their definitions.
Lastly there might be a few swear words I did not get rid of...
I hope people find this as useful as I did and kick the LSAT's ASS!

edit:
Where are you at -4? (-15where I started?)
I would keep track of every single game that gave you any sorts of trouble and also note what it was that gave you the trouble: setup, inference, rule, question, ect...
I would start with the games you are somewhat good at I would assume sequencing since that is the common one people grasp first, and I would get these games down then move to the next 'pure' form of a game grouping pure, in/out basic. And work on the fundamentals of those then once you feel comfortable with those branch out on what ever is your worst/give you the most trouble.
Have to know when rules trigger versus when they don't and the 4 groups.
Sufficient
Necessary
Negate Sufficient
Negate Necessary
(I don't think one can go -2/-0 if they do not have a strong grasp of this).
--I would try and get comfortable with as many game types as possible before PT'n because fresh PT's are a non renewable resource. However that said, if you plan on taking the exam in a few months and know you wont take any exam after, then I would start in the 60's. and then jump to the 70's once I start to get comfortable with the LSAT jump to the 80s.
--Drilling: I would do about 4 games per day everyday. I would not recommend too many more than that because then its likely we just burn up games. At first I would do 2 new games from PT 1-35 and as I got closer to -0 around --4/6ish (depending on score goal & time frame)I would start PTing
--Do not be afraid of redoing games you've done before, as long as you do not specifically remember the inferences and answer choices its okay to keep redoing the games. if you do happen to remember the AC's put that in a new category on the google sheet or color code it so you know to come back. I have learned that the LSAT implies the same tricks 95% of the time and once you have the bones of the structure you can build any style structure.
----timing help make many if not all of the critical inferences up front(try to) or at least be aware of them if they need to map them out for a question. Learning when to split I think is more of an art form I normally stick with the general rule less, game boards than questions excluding the acceptable situation question. Tune your approach to you, you know yourself the best. I normally do a partial spilt on pure grouping because I personally hate them more than any other game type.
-- super important to combine rules into chains and see what comes from that, always push the new rules up to the old rules and see if any inferences drop out.
---Keep track of the words that indicate different style games such as:
--sequencing will normally use words like--before, after, ahead, behind, IN front of, between; these normally indicate sequencing. Selecting, placing, combining, are going to be grouping games.
--Paring groups Xs & Ys together is likely going to be a double layer sequencing. matching witnesses to police interviewers or another dreadful one books to bookshelves.
--only having two categories is going to be in/out EX. I have 2 floors and I have to select which employees are going to be on which. Or the once dreadful (some will get it) assigning photographers to two different schools, or doctors to 2 different hospitals. In out is a grouping game, however it is a grouping game with only 2 groups. A common inference in this style game is once one category is full then all the other pieces have to go into the other category and the common correct ACs in the piece that makes one category too full, or a game piece always has to be in the same category.
---grouping---placing pieces into categories EX bones to time periods
---once you are able to identify the games quickly it allows you to setup the game board fast and in turn makes you faster in LG.
---keep going back to old games that gave you trouble.
--start watching/tracking question types that you should look at all the answer choices before starting to eliminate ACs because many times its a super obvious AC. or look for ACs that should be tried first you do not need to eliminate A first and so on eliminate (or try to) pick ones that look suspicious. EX on sequencing a common trick they like to employ wrong ACs is by having followers in the leader spots and the leaders in follower spots many sequencing questions/games employ this and it is easy to spot once you're made aware and this increase the chance of a correct answer and the speed at which you can get through questions.
grouping they like to ask which piece must be in or must be out, is easy when you know the
A----->/B (both cannot be in)but they can both be out --fail sufficient rule falls away
A/---->B( both can be in) but both cannot be out.
A<--->B forever together
A<--->/B forever apart
((((if this does not make sense keep going through the CC or go back to the CC)))))
---if you get to a game and the setup is giving you trouble Skip the game. this is one of the best lessons I have learned. SKIP SKIP SKIP move on get the low hanging fruit then come back and you'll be more relaxed and see the game from 'fresh' eyes. especially when first starting out because you'll be slower generally.
--- do not (force yourself) to not let the past question affect the next question and do not let the last game effect the next game. chances are if you struggle with the game many other people will too, and the other games will make up for that or the curve will.
--Be honest with yourself, do not give yourself little cheats here or there because those will be crutches and you won't get those on the exam this is true when drilling in a less extent but this is mandatory when practice testing.
--Blind review is the biggest advantage on the LSAT you can give yourself. take it just as serious you are taking the actual exam, this is where you will notice (if done properly) mistakes that you make undertime make sure to keep track of them so you can work on them and not repeat them. this is true for every section of the exam.
--I have more of a math oriented brain so LG came way easier than RC. that being said find things to do in the off time to increase you analytical skills: sudoku, rush hour,(try and get the odd color block out through a particular spot by moving all the other blocks around it)apps/games order/number sequences, of shape matching/finding the similarities between things in pictures or words. Doing these style games will workout the part of the brain LG calls on. I found these games to be super fun when I was a kid, maybe that is why I like LG.
---Positive Attitude is key. If you go into games with 'ughh this sucks' or 'ill never get this' 1) it'll make studying that much worse. 2) you will start making stupid mistakes and the cycle will repeat.
---Burnout is real, take breaks when needed. I learned a panful lesson on this, 2 hours of quality studying beat 6 hours of mediocre studying---many hours wasted, and it just compounds on itself.
You got this I believe it, you have already taken the initiative and spent the money, You can do it!

-Kole

Comments

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

This is great! Thank you so much for sharing Kole!

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

@"Beast Mode" you're welcome! I don't want people to struggle as much on the LSAT as I have (:

edited February 2021 1687 karma

Added this comment above.

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

thanks a million

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

Thank you so much again Kole! Great resource and great tips! I am going to start fool proofing games and I will implement the strategies you mentioned.

1687 karma

@"Beast Mode" and @learn2skipQs you're welcome! I hope you kill the LSAT!!

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

thanks a lot u2

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

This is awesome. Thank you!

• Alexandra3-1Alexandra3-1 Alum Member
    30 karma

Thank you!

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    419 karma

@kkole444 said:

---if you get to a game and the setup is giving you trouble Skip the game. this is one of the best lessons I have learned. SKIP SKIP SKIP move on get the low hanging fruit then come back and you'll be more relaxed and see the game from 'fresh' eyes. especially when first starting out because you'll be slower generally.

yesss I learned this lesson the hard way the first time I took the LSAT but skipping in LG if the setup goes wrong has allowed me to reduce my overall mistakes in a section! (I usually just flip to my next sheet of scratch paper and start a different game)

1687 karma

@lsat_gunner I will sometimes come across a game where I am like wtf?? I look at the questions quick and I'll just skip the whole game and go do the other 3 and come back to it. On the most recent PT where this happened I got a -2, which is okay, but I still think about how many I would have lost if I would have just stayed on that game and just brute force it, it was game 3 with 5 questions. Skipping use to be so counterintuitive for me but now its an important tool.

1687 karma

@sarakimmel , @Alexandra3-1 You're welcome, I hope this helps you struggle less with logic games that I did ahah!

• SvenssonSvensson Alum Member
    62 karma

thanks so much for this!

1687 karma

@Declandavid You're welcome!!
    Best of Luck in your studies!