7Sage Editor David Busis + Personal Statements

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited May 2015 in General 14039 karma
Hey guys, we're proud to announce that David Busis is our new Editor and we're working together to redesigning the personal statement course.

To aid in the redesign, we're looking to put together a diverse profile of personal statements to use in the course as instructional material. Therefore, we'd like for you to submit your personal statements. If your statement is chosen, we'll help you through some or all of the rewriting process to arrive at a polished final statement. This will come at no cost to you but we'd like to use your (anonymized) drafts as instructional content.

You have to be enrolled in a 7Sage Starter or higher course and have our existing Personal Statement course to submit for this.

Submission
If you'd like to submit, please email dillon@7sage.com (1) your PS draft (2) your undergrad institution, year, degree, gpa (3) your LSAT score if you have it already and (4) your basic demographic info. Please use subject "Personal Statement Submission".

If you have questions, please ask away!

Here's the hello from David himself:
I’m David, a professional writer and editor, and I’m currently redesigning 7Sage's personal statement course. I am a graduate of Yale, where I received a prize for excellence in the English major, and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, where I received a teaching fellowship. My nonfiction has appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Atlantic online. My fiction has won two national contests, received notable mention in The Best American Short Stories 2014 and been anthologized by Autumn House Press. I've taught English and writing at Phillips Academy Andover, the University of Iowa and Southern New Hampshire University. I’m a member of Blurb’s Dream Team of editors and the Editorial Freelancers’ Association. I’ve also been through the law school application wringer myself: I was admitted to Harvard and Yale Law School before I decided to pursue editing.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    pretty awesome @"J.Y. Ping"
    quick question, when are you choosing(deadline to submit yours and have it be considered?)
  • hrjones44hrjones44 Alum Member
    323 karma
    wow impressive! i wrote a hasty PS in december trying to get in by the priority deadline of my school so i could be considered for scholarships... was to engulfed in studying! if i dont get in i'll be taking full advantage of this for next year!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited May 2015 14039 karma
    Effectively, there's no deadline because this is an ongoing project. But strategically you'll want to submit sooner than later because we're prepared to give to up to 20 hours of essay editing for free. The market price per hour is $150 so that's up to $3,000 for free and I would expect demand to outpace supply.

Edit: "ongoing"
  • Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    Hi! I just signed up for the Personal Statement course and submitted my personal statement, diversity statement and addendum for possible review with David....is this ok? If not...you can disregard my diversity statement and addendum. Great idea!!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma
    Yup, that's fine. PS, DS, and Addendum submissions are fine.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7285 karma
    Hi everyone! I'm proud to be working with 7Sage, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    This is great! Another reason why 7Sage is the best in the market!
    7285 karma
    By the way, you can find out more information about me, my editing and my writing at http://www.davidbusis.com/.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Awesome. JY never disappoints with his hiring choices! What a stellar team!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I'll definitely take advantage of this.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    For those of us who submitted a PS, when will we be notified whether ours was selected or not?
  • Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    @mes08 I have the same question as well! I am taking the October LSAT and plan to submit my applications complete by the first week in November.
    7285 karma
    Hi everyone, I'm going through the personal statements now. If you submitted on or before May 8, I'll let you know whether I select your statement by May 15. I'm basing my choice on the needs of the course, so you shouldn't feel bad if I don't choose you.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    welcome to the 7sage fam!
  • Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    edited May 2015 199 karma
    I am so happy to hear that these changes are occuring! J.Y.Thank u so much for your continuous efforts to build a better brand. I recently sent my first personal statement to Dillon back in March (it has changed many times since then) lol and he replied stating that you were taking "a step back" from answering personal questions. I was disappointed because I have a healthcare background and have very little guidance in writing a PS for law school. None of my readers knew what one should consist of, writing style etc. So I felt lost with the entire process and this chance for FREE expertise is very exciting. I know it will be helpful to many people. Anyway David's bio is very impressive and I'm glad he has joined your team!
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 1392 karma
    If I were to submit my statement by Thursday, would it still be considered in the drawing?
    edited May 2015 7285 karma
    @"The 180 Bro" -- yes.
    @alejoroarios -- thanks!
    @"Aiesha G." -- We're putting this course together so people like you can find quality, affordable guidance on your PS, whether or not we choose your statement for free editing.
    7285 karma
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that submissions for personal statements are closed. Thanks to everyone who submitted.
This discussion has been closed.