Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting Letters of Recommendation

edited February 2021 in Law School Admissions 144 karma

I am bit unsure about getting letters of recommendation. I am an undergrad in engineering school (in my 4th year) who is looking at going to law school soon after graduation. I do not think it is very common for engineering undergrads to go to law school after graduation and so I don't really know how to approach the subject with any of my professors. I have worked with one professor outside of an academic setting, but I don't really believe I have a close enough relationship where they would be willing to recommend me for a field completely outside their field of expertise. Is there anyone else who has been in a maybe similar situation who might be able to provide any guidance here? Thanks!

Comments

• I don't think it matters too much. Law schools want more insight into your academic capabilities. If you have an excellent relationship with any of your professors, they should speak on behalf of your punctuality, maturity, etc. Also, it doesn't have to be an engineering professor. My university required a writing course to graduate, and those classes usually had 18-30 students. Due to the small class size, I built a great relationship with my instructor. Please don't underestimate the power of your TAs as well. I mean, they're probably grading your work.

In short: Reach out to Gen Ed instructors and TAs (Graduate assistants).

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, law schools and law firms are very attracted to engineers. The most effective LORS are strong, specific, and positive so think about which potential recommenders would be able to write about your potential as a law student and future legal professional. You might find the information here to be helpful: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-get-the-best-letter-from-your-recommenders/. Good luck!