PT1.4.19 - Negative attitudes towards the elderly

edited February 2021 in Logical Reasoning 174 karma

Would you classify the stimulus as a set of premises or an argument?

Comments

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

I'd suggest that this is an argument.

I think, the conclusion is that 'unless a person's.... there is no necessary connection' between plucking hairs and not liking elderly people. We have to understand the context of 'no necessary connection' from the question the stimulus poses.

Why do we believe this? The premises are that it's reasonable to like the elderly and not want to lose eyesight. Holding negative attitudes toward old people because they are old is immoral. There is nothing immoral about disliking the process of getting old.

Answer A takes 'there is no necessary connection' and expands it out explain what that means. The connection between not liking hairs and not liking elderly people cannot be assumed.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

It's definitely an argument. @McBeck418 is correct. If you need to, break the stimulus down into its individual statements and check for flow of support.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

Upon review, these guys are definitely correct. I should have carefully read the stimulus smh!

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

I agree with Mcbeck above. I think it is an argument and the conclusion is implied in first statement, but the main conclusion is : "Unless a person's...". So it is an argument.