PT47.S4.Q14 (G3) - Five record stores in Crescentville

edited March 2021 in Logic Games 273 karma

Can Could Be True answer choices actually be "Must Be True"?

I just did PT47, Section 4, Game 3. Question 14 in this game has a Could Be True question stem but the answer choice actually has to be true.

Logically speaking, if something must be true, then it could be true. So the logic goes: MBT –> CBT, and not the other way around. Just because an answer choice could be true does not necessarily mean that it has to be true. For example, suppose A and B could go into slot 1. “A goes into slot 1” is then a Could Be True answer choice, but it doesn’t have to be true, because B could also go into slot 1.

But if we suppose that only A could go into slot 1, then “A goes into slot 1” is then a Must Be True answer choice, and it could also be true.

Can someone tell me if this understanding is correct?

I don't recall ever seeing a Could Be True question where the correct answer choice actually must be true. Does anyone know if this is something that happens in other, more recent games? Or is this a phenomenon that we see only rarely and with the older games, like this one?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-47-section-4-game-3/

Comments

• SufficientConditionSufficientCondition Alum Member
    311 karma

MBT-->CBT
    MBT--s--CBT

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Yes, sometimes a CBT is a MBT: if it must happen, it could happen. It is just the logical extreme of possibility. To answer your question, it is definitely less common to see a MBT AC in a CBT question on a game, but they do occur.

• 273 karma

@sarakimmel Thank you! Can you tell me if my logical reasoning above is correct? That MBT –> CBT, and not the other way around.

1488 karma

Yup, since CBT is asking about the possibility of an occurrence, if something must be true then it could be true (1-100% chance). But something that could happen doesn't have to happen, so CBT does not meet the standard of MBT which is 100%. CBT is any chance of something happening up to MBT. I hope that's clear.

• 273 karma

Thanks so much, @sarakimmel

1488 karma

@"Learned Astronomer" You are most welcome!